BBQ Brethren "South of The Border" Throwdown! (Entries and Quality *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Our new category is called...

[SIZE=+2]"South of The Border!"

[SIZE=+2][SIZE=+2]
SouthoftheBorder_zpsdd6907dd.jpg
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Mmmm...tacos, enchiladas, burritos, taquitos, tortillas, and ice cold beer!
Extra Squirrel AND Foil points to the first person (Guerry is exempt from this quiz) who can identify where this picture first appeared!

[SIZE=+2][SIZE=+2][SIZE=+2] As chosen by [/SIZE][SIZE=+2]Gnaws on Pigs, for his win in the "Pizza" Throwdown!

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE]
CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING!

Gnaws on Pigs said:
I've been thinking through some different ideas for the next throwdown, but I keep coming back to "South of the Border." No special rules, just show us your favorite grilled or smoked Mexican/Latin/Tex-mex/Americanized Mexican food.

What? :confused: No special rules? :mmph:

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...[FONT=&quot]

Please note that THIS is the entry thread. [/FONT]QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread.

Discussion Thread is HERE.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 3/22 through Sunday 3/31.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 4/1.

Before submitting an entry to this Throwdown, make sure you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Cool! I've been waiting for the Tierra Del Fuego TD for a long, long time. And with the new Pope beingf FROM Argentina...

Well, Argentina is definitely south of the border-bring on the roasted side of beef with chimichurri! Are you gonna cook it over white smoke or black smoke?

It says south of the border, then lists Tex-Mex, and specifically state there are no special rules. This means we're talking the Oklahoma border at the southernmost. :thumb:

I'm thinking to win this, you'll need to cook the American version of Mexican food, just as you have to cook the American version of most international foods to win a TD, these days. I'd love to do hours of research to learn how to cook a real Mexican dish, just to lose to a plate of food that nobody in Mexico eats. Not.

I hope to see some stellar, authentic Mexican or Central American entries. I'll vote for it -- which means I'll fark up your zero. :becky:

CD

Allright, had to do a little cleanup since it was going "Wackadoodle" in the wrong place.:tsk: I tried to only move those that either didn't discuss what is actually in the category, or responses that also didn't get on track.

As for what this category covers, I think this part of the description from Gnaws on Pigs (in the OP) covers it pretty clearly...

Mexican/Latin/Tex-mex/Americanized Mexican food

So you can make...

1. Real Mexican food
2. Americanized Mexican
3. Tex-Mex (pretty similar to Americanized although different)
4. Latin food

If anyone has any questions or comments about these, feel free to ask!:becky:

Can't wait to see where this goes...:heh:

Oh, since I imagine the only sticky point is "Latin" food, you might check this out...

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_American_cuisine"]Latin American cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

So, basically you're saying we need to make nachos with cheese that came from a box? I can't see something like that ever winning. :crazy:
I'm pretty sure if you use Nacho Cheese Sauce from a box, jar or can then CD will throw a fit. You must use Homemade Nacho cheese to pass the dog sniffer test. But since this is not a "special rule", you can use Nacho Cheese Sauce from a box, jar or can, but at least expect a fit from CD if you do so. In fact, you should probably make your own cheese.

I'm pretty sure if you use Nacho Cheese Sauce from a box, jar or can then CD will throw a fit. You must use Homemade Nacho cheese to pass the dog sniffer test. But since this is not a "special rule", you can use Nacho Cheese Sauce from a box, jar or can, but at least expect a fit from CD if you do so. In fact, you should probably make your own cheese.
So, part of the Special Rules is I need to buy a goat and a cow. then milk them to make cheese all in one week time frame....Eh we may need a special rule Extension for realism..........:drama:

By my count, there are 11 full days until this TD closes.

Just in case anyone needs a countdown!:becky:

Back