BBQ Area Task Lighting

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
I mentioned in a previous post that my new BBQ area occupies the space where our hot tub once resided. I'm finding that the area is a bit dark since the house floodlights don't illuminate it. There are lights off the back of the garage but they don't light it up sufficiently either.

I tacked a string of LED Christmas lights to the BBQ shed, which looked pretty but didn't do the job. I thought of putting up solar LED motion lights on the shed, but these got lousy reviews and I dislike the "as seen on TV" nature of them.

Yankee ingenuity and frugality to the rescue.

After the Trex deck remodel, I had plenty of PVC trim boards left over which the contractor agreed I could keep. They were only headed to a dumpster. I've been making ghost decorations for Halloween out of some of it and am starting on some Christmas stuff as well.

My initial thought was a closet rod inserted into an umbrella stand with LED rope lights wrapped around it. Functional but kinda ugly.

In keeping with the style of the railing posts on the new deck, I assembled a 7 ft tall post, put together a round base and legs and a post cap. Around the post I strung an LED rope light, hoping it would provide enough illumination to work at any of the grills and see into the BBQ shed.

Success! The main goals of this were:

(a) it had to be light enough to move. With the exception of some lumber in the bottom 2 feet of the post, it's hollow and lightweight.

(b) inexpensive. All the PVC material was "free" (yeah, I paid for it with the cost of the deck remodels) but all I had to buy was the string of rope lights.

(c) weatherproof and maintenance free. It's PVC.

A day or two in the shop and it's done. It plugs into an outlet, doesn't need permanent wiring and performs as intended. It lights up my grill area. I think it actually looks pretty darn good, I might make another for mood lighting on our upper deck.

Some pics -

DUzkmST.jpg

5d8Ir9d.jpg

Thanks for reading through to the end of this post (pun intended).

Regards,
-lunchman

Looks great!

One thing you might consider for the future is the would be to sting some of these over the deck — potentially hung from a few of those posts you built if you still have some more material.

We have a couple pergolas that have them hanging over them and they put out a decent amount of light — significantly more than Christmas lights.

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Dimm...t=&hvlocphy=9003172&hvtargid=pla-913747621342

Thanks all. It's come in quite handy over the past few evening cooks and does a nice job lighting up the grill area. And I'll admit it looks cool. Our guests the other night thought it was the neatest thing they'd ever seen and couldn't believe it was made from scrap material.

My plan for a second one is to include a table for drinks or phones, etc. Perhaps a USB outlet for charging. I've got plenty of time for design as we probably won't be sitting out on the deck with evening temps dipping below 30.

Looks great!

One thing you might consider for the future is the would be to sting some of these over the deck — potentially hung from a few of those posts you built if you still have some more material.

We have a couple pergolas that have them hanging over them and they put out a decent amount of light — significantly more than Christmas lights.

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Dimm...t=&hvlocphy=9003172&hvtargid=pla-913747621342

My setup is also a hot tub pad, but underneath our deck, walkout basement style. I use something similar to those lights and am very happy with them.

You might not be sitting outside much as it is starting to get a bit chilly in MA but at least you can cook in comfort Always nice to see what you are cooking I have to see if I can get my son and D-I-L move my gasser up to my deck so I can grill this winter Have an area today that was seeded 3 weeks ago to get rid of a large patch of weeds Will water it for the last time today then shut off the outside water outlets

Love the creativity! Not only do you possess such talents while cooking, but you branch out in other areas, too.

Back