Battle of the BBQ Brethren Nation-wide?

I like SIDE's idea of the competition series. They seem to be very fashionable these days and a Brethren series would be cool.

All depend on how its labeled and perceived as well. I know that I have heard from many teams in the past that they thought the long island contest "the battle of the bbq brethren" was only for brethren members. At New Holland a few people who had seen the banner up top for raystown asked the same question when it was changed to Botb/PA.If i werent in "the know" I might be confused as well

I agree, Sled... the perception would be that it is only for Brethren. But that could be overcome. Now as far as sanctioning, I did not mean a new sanctioning body... just competitions under the KCBS sanctioning.

i think we have a pretty good reason for existance, but what i think we need now is a mission statement. i like the idea of a national contest but we must know what the goal is in fomulating it before we can support it with action. for instance, i like the idea of presenting barbeque to a wider audience. this would have the benifit to contest organizers, teams and charities by providing revenue in the form of spectators and thusly sponsors who wish to advertise to those masses. now please realise that this is only an example but if this was the mission statement we could next use a similar event that accomplished this as a template. i think that professional bass fishing is a good example. we seem to be trying to do now what they have done in the past. Ford made a good example of it in a post titled "will bbq become a sport" i will find and link it here. remember though anything that we can do from this point on, to be original, will require change and it goes without saying will be solely dependant on Phil as has already been stated.

as promised.

Ford
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizards of 'Que
Unless people become willing to pay to watch we will be playing for our own money. You are right that poker is a better comparision, but not WS of Poker, but the buddies in the game room type.
Actually I'm thinking TV. How about bass fishing. Now what's more boring than watching a fat of bald guy with a bass boat cast and retrieve for hours without a bite. But edit a full 4 days of fishing into a one hour action packed show and all of a suddne they have 100K payouts and more. Plus sponsors for teams who want their logo on TV. In poker on TV today and there's tons of it on the dish on the Sports channels not just the WS and on Bravo and Travel. And how many of the contestants wear ads on their clothes? And anybody can pay a fee to enter these tourneys. Now it's more than we pay but heck their prizes are in the millions.

How about a series for TV - 13 contests, prize money of $200K per so 2.6 mil investment less entry fees, sponsors, etc to get 13 - 1 hour epsidoes in the can. No fees to the actors (cooks and judges). Now if you can sell it to a TV network and get sponsors then it's the World Series of BBQ. Anybody can enter. Heck I'd pay $500 entry fee for a shot. Mike, Johnny and the rest put their pants on one leg at a time and on any given day they can be whipped. Just ask Podge or Scottie.

3 FEC100's in enclosed trailer
Weber Kettle with rotisserie, WSM
Weber Summit D6 gasser & Viking Range with Grill in the kitchen

I agree, Sled... the perception would be that it is only for Brethren. But that could be overcome. Now as far as sanctioning, I did not mean a new sanctioning body... just competitions under the KCBS sanctioning.

As an organizer yourself of a successful contest what do you think it could bring? I doubt you will get more teams from it. I am having a had time understanding the point of it all. Are you going to rebrand your contest with BOTB on it?

Warning: Yawn Generator

Great concept - thanks Jeff for getting it in the mainstream! Sounds like the Poobister and inner circle are well along in the planning stages on this already, so probably not much in the way of fresh thought here, but:

From the perspective of someone relatively new to the Brethren and to competition, I like the idea of a contest with mentoring by established teams, judge participation, classes, branded seminars, and other options to help newcomers get a grip on competition. Stage a Friday cook for new teams with a mentor? Head cooks from new teams might be allowed to PB for Brethren teams on Sat/Sun in exchange for helping out with setup & tear down. I understand that some will see this as more work and added expense and rightly so, especially if a day is added. But I think the mentoring work can be limited and hopefully the expense offset, possibly by charging a fee to new teams who want to participate in a separate contest and learn.

As far as a national BotB series, would it be possible to stage a "contest within a contest" for now? Having Brethren teams compete against each other based on the scores received from the established contest would allow BotB contests to take place in conjunction with any (sanctioned or non-sanctioned) contest anywhere in the world. It also might allow for "co-op" marketing, combining the sanctioning body and Brethren brands without alienating or dividing the organizations involved in staging the comp. The Brethren "seal of approval" could be granted to contests that are well organized and cooker friendly.

As others have suggested, qualifiers for regional contests could come from the already established comps, culminating in a National Battle Royale (®?) for Brethren teams.

Politics aside (and I'm extremely apolitical), it all seems like a good way to promote BBQ, the Brethren and also help some people out along the way. Let me know what I can do.

Back