Battle of the BBQ Brethren Nation-wide?

But didn't you lose the big show on Sunday? Better not dismiss the onsite concept especially with your growing MvF following.
I think what Sled is saying is that without the dog and pony show that took his attention away from the Big Show... he would have wiped the floor with you guys. :heh:

<I got yer back, Sled.>

The talk of sanctioning body is fairly premature. Remember the fiasco / issue with Cates and the SMOW issues from earlier in the year? In order to roll something like that out, or even work with an organization such as the FBA to expand, would take some serious time, energy and resources to get running, let alone to build up a reputation from the ground up and grow into a national presence. Even if were to leverage the FBA, to expand their judge pool with trainings, get them into other areas, etc. would take a fair amount of time.

Now as for the regional events leading to a national event, this would make the most sense. My question would be is if we can leverage existing events and have them work towards a Brethren only-showdown. So, as an example, could Big Creek's spring or fall event (Smokin on the Creek / Fountain Senior Q) also have a Brethren entry, using the scores from that event and maybe 2-3 others in the Mid-west region, to select the top five from the midwest, with other events doing the same. This would avoid the need to setup multiple contests within the region, allowing a preset criteria be established, and the entry fees to setting up the final showdown.

As the organizer of Barbeque at the Beach (Battle of the Barbecue Brethren - PA) I chose to invite in Phil after a conversation we had a year ago about doing something regionally. I wanted to do anything I could for the brethren in return for all you have done for me. No it isnt limited to the brethren but having the brethren involved makes my event a little more legit. It's a first year event and Im learning the stress of it all. I got the financial backing of our the lake's visitors center, KCBS sanctioning, governor's proclamation, and I just felt like bringing in the name of the best BBQ forums out there would only help to bring in the teams. I hope to put on a great event which is next weekend btw for anyone who can't compete and just wants to come in. We are having a non sanctioned grilling event just for the Q people and the locals who want to have some fun. We are aiming our event at pleasing the teams which we know will bring more public in.

As for benefiting charities, I am involving our local volunteer fire depts and various organizations in the parking lots and donation of the cans at the event. I would like to say any proceeds were going to a charity but this year we are in the hole which I am sure is normal. I did have a plan to give our proceeds to Rotary and Habitat for Humanity.

I am taking a few pages of the playbook from all the great events I attended last year. Boston hills (the beer tent area) Roc City (the great area and stage area) Lake Placid (kids play area) Battle of the brethren 09 (the site decorating event)

I need to get back to work on my business and getting the things together for this comp but I saw this and wanted to weigh in as an organizer. i look forward to growing our competition, getting better organized, getting the BOTBB fleshed out in a franchiseable setup and just have fun! When do we start having fun as the organizer? lol!

Dog and Pony show not in everybodys favor. I know some MBN guys will jump on me but if I am presenting food from my 2 ezups and folding table and nobodys ever heard of me and lets just say Mixon is next to be judged with his fancy trailer with bar top seating and fame.... See where Im going with this? I did enjoy the sat onsite grilling deal 2 years ago at sayville. that being said I would never do it again. It was exhausting. Typically sat events have little money and always cost more. My investment is for the big show on Sunday.

Sled, I wouldnt jump on 'ya for that! Seriously though, my personal
experience has been that the newer judges (very few of these in
MBN/MIM) may be a little swayed by the glamor & name, but to some
it can be a turn-off [think of the overbearing used car salesman].

In the end, the on-site scores are weighted less, BUT the person
running "the show" can certainly persuade someone that his BBQ is just
that much better. I think the salesmanship has more to do with it than
the glitz/glamor. Mixon WILL sell his stuff, to be certain. I, personally,
think it's unnecessary (the on-site), but I really like the 2nd turn-in
concept. HOWEVER, being a 2 EZ-UP tent with RV and Lang 60 team,
I've never felt that Myron's battle wagon had anything more to offer
that a discerning judge couldn't figure out... The "big rigs" do allow for
the appearance of cleanliness a little easier; cleanliness being one of the
2 additional factors in scoring of on-site (the other being the presentation
of the meat on the cooker). We just use 3 sides on one of our EZ-UPs
and face it backwards so the judge doesn't see what's going on "behind
the curtain". :shock:

> Lot's of people have been lobbying for judges to spend a contest
> with a team to learn what goes into competitive cooking. In lieu
> of that, onsite judging would be a great way for the judge to get
> a quick snapshot of what is involved without actually cooking an
> event with a team.

Guy, that "quick snapshot" is usually a very dressed up and not even
close to showing the realities quick glimpse. I'm not sure that many will
glean anything real from it. I do think that judges should have some idea
as to what goes into it, but viewing a very clean cool smoker with meat
that's positioned between pineapples and oranges and apples on lettuce
while being told how wonderful their BBQ is and why doesn't nearly begin
to cover what efforts went in to it, IMHO. Oooooops, just gave away
our secrets of our on-site. DOH

whoa nelly!!!! are we getting way ahead of ourselves.

babysteps.. lets just recognize that alot of thought and work has been ongoing towards the direction of nationwide contests. This thread is great in addresssing some thoughts we have already had as well as bringing in new ideas.

We are only in the very early stages. besides the recruitment of organizers and reps, the first thing needed is to leverage the already national distribution we have to establish a known and familiar presence. BotB contests need to:

1 - entice existing organizers to tag a contest as such by adding value to the contest wheather it be prizes, $$ or resources.
2 - Use an already familiar boilerplate(and sanctioning body) and IN ADDITION to that, add in whatever it is that makes the event unique. That is required to give the teams a familiar comfort level and ensurance of integrity while at the same time introducing the brand and its visions.
3 - Follow preset guidelines WE would require to ensure cook friendly above and beyond.

Once the presence is established, and BotB events are acknowledged by the teams where the branding is seen as a guarantee of quality, we can then possibly expand on existing foundations. But that fall under "if it aint broke......." (lest not discuss the 'but it is broke theory. For the most part, all systems work).

Having Brethren only events is possible, within the brand, but that would be in addtion to the open events. We are not and do not want to give the image of exclusivity. Besides, whats the criteria for signing up to a 'Brethren only" contest? A forum ID? That can be created in 30 seconds. As sled says, the existing name already and mistakenly gives an aire of exclusivity, which is detrimental. I know of several teams who did not sign up to the first event thinking it was for members only. We are an open organization, and contest branding may require a better name.

Sidebar -

The Onsite judging that we did consisted of only 2 categories, presented together. Appetizer/entree or entree/desert. Teams were able to add anything else they wanted to compliment the meal, but the judges must be told which 2 items to score. Criteria was Presentation/originality(of the recipe)/taste. It was a huge hit with both teams and judges with only a couple of folks having isssue(judges complained there was too much food. :becky:).

so, without getting lightyears ahead of ourselves trying to repeat what cates is trying, lets focus on bringing a level of uniqueness and quality to an event that would get teams thinking outside of the 9x9 inch box and just keep looking 9 -12 months ahead at a time.

got more to say, but have to work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiedad
i think this is a great idea! a national team comprised of members of various Brethren teams might be instrumental in attracting a big national sponsor, like an energy drink, like in the X-games.

also, while i was reading this thread i was thinking that if there was a National team... why not a national contest! The Battle Of The Barbeque Breathren was so great and so fun that i felt bad for all the Brethren Nationwide who did not get a chance to participate in it first hand.

so what about a committee to organize a Brethren competition in all the various sectors of the Nation, with the National team as the host. i don't know anything about putting on a competition but would be happy to help in this effort if anyone thinks it's worthwhile.

here is a post from 2008 dealing with the same idea! a Breathren national contest might have the ability to attract a national sponsor, drawing in more media and introducing competition bbq to a wider audience. it could be an opportunity let a national team host the event drawing in non-Breathren teams and Breathren teams alike.

I think what Sled is saying is that without the dog and pony show that took his attention away from the Big Show... he would have wiped the floor with you guys. :heh:

<I got yer back, Sled.>
Thanks buddy, I got yours whenever need be.

I think it'd be fun to have a contest "for pinks" - winner takes the losers' cookers!

Seriously, sounds like you guys are on to something good. Thanks!

What about a BOTB in each state, then the GC's from each state compete against each other in a Royal type event to determine the best brethren team each year? This doesn't have to be just brethren members, but would have the brethren name attached to it, kinda like the Brethren series.
With the proper advertisements and sponsors, over the years this could become as big as MIM or one of the other World Championships.

What about a BOTB in each state, then the GC's from each state compete against each other in a Royal type event to determine the best brethren team each year? This doesn't have to be just brethren members, but would have the brethren name attached to it, kinda like the Brethren series.
With the proper advertisements and sponsors, over the years this could become as big as MIM or one of the other World Championships.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

Ideally it could develop into a series ala the Empire State to conclude each year with an invitational for that year's GCs with prizes for invitational to be subsidized by sponsors of the entire series. That alone would make it enticing to a lot of teams I would think, plus contest logos, web design, flyers, t-shirts, press outreach and other overhead should be much lower since your basically creating templates that can be customized per market.

If you owned BattleOfTheBBQBrethren.com (or BoBBqBattle.com), upcoming contests, rules, results, photos, videos, etc. could all live there.

There are a lot of "Pros" and "Cons" to this whole discussion.

To me, the bottom line is:
"What can we bring to the table" for an event.

At over 10K members, we have a "national" and even "international" footprint.

This needs to be leveraged into an indentifiable brand.
That takes $$ and time.

For example, within the FBA, we could probably add a "grilling" event, IF (and only IF) the organizer saw some value added for their effort.
"Drawing more teams" would probably not work since we have great attendance without add-ons. (JMHO)

Figure out the "Value Added", and we can do it. ! :-D
Maybe put up $500- $1K or so, and we could get it going.
But, it has gotta be something added!!!!

TIM

Perhaps break the countries (yes, Canada too) into 6 or 8 regions, allow
teams to compete in one and only one regional contest, then perhaps
allow the top 5 from each region to come to one central Brethren final.

The breakdown would work in a series event but would restrict the number of events that take place. I think the idea is to bring a "better" or "different" option to other sanctioning bodies. As well as bring a proven model for contests to run smoothly for all involved. Maybe allow more events and allow the highest score from that region to be your draw for the final contest. Sort of like the Empire Cup in NY state. 8 or 9 contests take place but your highest four are used to calculate your standing. I think one of the great things that happened with the Empire Cup is that Teams who wouldn't normally compete came from all around to vie for the cup. You wouldn't want to restrict Brethren to a specific region and also wouldn't want to give unfair advantage to those in areas that have more contests.

Wow now lets stick it in his rump roast and call him Sally why don't we. :heh::heh::heh:

If memory serves that Sunday that I "lost" I took 1st in ribs unlike getting DQ'd when you are 10' away from turn in like he was last week:boxing:

If memory serves that Sunday that I "lost" I took 1st in ribs unlike getting DQ'd when you are 10' away from turn in like he was last week:boxing:

That was two weeks ago, not one. Last week I was 10' away from judging but was DQ'd for being too late.

How did you do at that very contest that was referred to in the video:mad2:

Not bad considering I flew in to enjoy the moment. I got everything in on time and felt happy with getting it all cooked on borrowed equipment and not coming in DAL. Why you ask? You know that R2BQ team listed as DAL?:clap2:

Not bad considering I flew in to enjoy the moment. I got everything in on time and felt happy with getting it all cooked on borrowed equipment and not coming in DAL. Why you ask? You know that R2BQ team listed as DAL?:clap2:
not that far from you in those standings, I was sitting in my backyard here in NY:thumb:

Back