Battle of the BBQ Brethren Nation-wide?

Maybe a big question is who is the audience? Are the BotB comps supposed to attract the brethren who are world champions and compete weekly, or is it to attract some of the Q Talk folks who just make good Q to see who makes the best?

dmp

We would do all.. Shade tree/Backyard events are another thing on the books. 1 day chicken and rib events, or full blown 2 day BBQ events with only those new to competition cooking.. as well as standard 2 day events open to all. This would be up to organizers.

I believe that it's important to note that a Battle of the BBQ Brethren event (or even just a 'BBQ Brethren' event) does not preclude any sanctioning by any sanctioning body.

There needs to be a clear statement of what a BBQ Brethren event is and then move from there.

It would seem to me that if Phil was comfortable in the belief that an event would meet the criteria of what a BBQ Brethren event should be and is comfortable enough with the organizers to entrust them with the name of the Brethren, then discussions could take place based on that level of trust.

So, what does it mean to have a 'BBQ Brethren' contest?

To me, it would mean:

1) Possible inclusion of onsite judging.
2) Linking the event to a charitable fundraiser.
3) Having a quantifiable level of dedication to the ideals of the Brethren (whether through an onsite mentoring program, classes/demos for the public, or outstanding efforts to be 'team friendly'). Some facet of the event embodying the raison d'etre 'From the Backyard to the American Royal'

It goes without saying that Phil would be the final arbiter, but what would an ideal 'BBQ Brethren' contest be to you?

Eric

What exactly would a "BOTB" title bring to an event especially an established event? If it's not going to be the sanctioning body or the organizer what would it bring to the table that would it make it attractive to either an organizer or a competitor?

Ideally it could develop into a series ala the Empire State to conclude each year with an invitational for that year's GCs with prizes for invitational to be subsidized by sponsors of the entire series. That alone would make it enticing to a lot of teams I would think, plus contest logos, web design, flyers, t-shirts, press outreach and other overhead should be much lower since your basically creating templates that can be customized per market.

If you owned BattleOfTheBBQBrethren.com (or BoBBqBattle.com), upcoming contests, rules, results, photos, videos, etc. could all live there.

Huh? WTF
lol:confused:

I'm spitballing as much as anyone, but I'd like to see some part of any BBQ Brethren labeled event geared towards helping BBQ enthusiasts of any level up their game a bit.

Maybe a seminar on how to make rubs or what to look for in different cuts of meat.

Eric

So, what does it mean to have a 'BBQ Brethren' contest?

To me, it would mean:

1) Possible inclusion of onsite judging.

If an organizer bought into the concept of a BOBBQB event, would the KCBS buy into having onsite judging for the four main catagories if the Organizer wanted KCBS sanctioning also?

What exactly would a "BOTB" title bring to an event especially an established event? If it's not going to be the sanctioning body or the organizer what would it bring to the table that would it make it attractive to either an organizer or a competitor?

Where did I hear that? :confused:

Oh.. here it is. :becky::clap2:

What we are working on is what WE can bring to the table to enhance a contest. What the future will hold is still on paper, but the current challenge is what value can we add to a contest or organizer to entice them. BotB 09 had the grilling challenge with onsite judging(and a specific rulebook) that was a huge hit, that can be a start as part of the footprint. Our strength is in our networking, and i am just today talking with some national advertisers who may be interested in adding prizes to the contests.

Good discussion.. Id like to hear more input. (Especially from organizers) :becky:

Ideally it could develop into a series ala the Empire State to conclude each year with an invitational for that year's GCs with prizes for invitational to be subsidized by sponsors of the entire series. That alone would make it enticing to a lot of teams I would think, plus contest logos, web design, flyers, t-shirts, press outreach and other overhead should be much lower since your basically creating templates that can be customized per market.

If you owned http://www.BattleOfTheBBQBrethren.com (or BoBBqBattle.com), upcoming contests, rules, results, photos, videos, etc. could all live there.

youre hired as head of marketing.

RE: the domain... had that for years....you typed it wrong. :thumb:

If an organizer bought into the concept of a BOBBQB event, would the KCBS buy into having onsite judging for the four main catagories if the Organizer wanted KCBS sanctioning also?

KCBS would not sanction as a BBQ event under the normal guise, but I believe it can be done under one of KCBS's other series tags(I think it may be called competitor series)

or the onsite judging can be a grilling contest on the first day coupled with a sanctioned BBQ event on the second. Just like we did at BotB 09.

That's an interesting question. I had meant for grilling, but all four categories would be sort of cool.

I should have been more clear, but it opened up an interesting concept.

Eric

If all of the awards had "In My Pants' at the end of them... then I'm in!

1st Place Chicken... in my pants.
1st Place Ribs... in my pants.
1st Place Pork... in my pants.
1st Place Brisket... in my pants.
1st Place sausage... well, you get the picture.

If all of the awards had "In My Pants' at the end of them... then I'm in!

1st Place Chicken... in my pants.
1st Place Ribs... in my pants.
1st Place Pork... in my pants.
1st Place Brisket... in my pants.
1st Place sausage... well, you get the picture.

Just change the name of your team to "In My Pants" then make sure to win every category.

And the grand champion of Battle of the BBQ Brethren Guam is "In My Pants".

FYI,

Raison d'être is a French phrase meaning "reason for existence."

Thanks Wes. Couldn't be bothered to look it up.

I think the idea of a BOTB sanctioning body has merit but must be well thought out. A set of rules should be drawn up to closely mimic those in use today by the majority of BBQ societies. Any serious deviation from that might hurt the credibility of a growing sanctioning body. Not that I have any reason to believe that someone would try to discredit it there is always the chance. I think proper planning is the utmost of priorities. A template for the sanctioning body to show the people involved so that people here can offer input. To make it bulletproof I think little deviation from the normal expectation would entice established contests to adopt it as well. I just have a fear that some would try to revamp the rules or normal course of the event to create a serious change in expectation. People hate change and will be less receptive if asked to make a lot.

I think the fact that there always seems to be a charity or cause that the BOTB support makes them something you'd like to be a part of. Maybe the entry fees are linked with a possible donation or the charity/cause announced early so people could get donations from family friends and local businesses. Possibly use that money to pay for a peoples choice or food bank donation. The events do a lot now but with some extra effort money could be raised by the competitors earlier and made available for event time. Possibly make the entry fee the donation so friends and family could write off the sponsorship of a team. Then ask local business to support the prize pool. Gotta be a way to give them a write off too.

What is truly necessary IMO is diligent organization. When you are trying to break into the big game you need your ducks in a row or you will be the rival sanctioning bodies biggest advertisement. Just look at many products out there that have imitators(new Coke anyone). Worst of all flying in the face of KCBS with a new sanctioning body that isn't regional is like MCI taking on Ma Bell at best and like Hunts catsup taking on Heinz Ketchup at worst. It is a daunting task and not without pitfalls and probable monetary cost. This isn't something that would just fall in place and shouldn't be treated as such (not that I am saying it will be). Everything from - garnering local support and sponsorship
- competitor and public friendly venues
- a force to support the vital systems such as power and sanitation
- a proven punchlist of what how when and where to do things
- a oversight into the minutia that some overlook.

To do this you need a local group of volunteers to hit the ground months before the contest even is announced. A local cause will definitely bring in more interest from local businesses especially those that cater to the whole populace like eateries and general markets. Local BBQ supply places can offer merchandise much easier then dipping in their pocket.

Competitor and public friendly is a real key too. Especially if you are bringing it to a locale where you are IT on that specific weekend. If it weren't for your contest they would be shootin' holes in street signs (NTTAWWT). If you can offer a peoples choice event or better yet a give back idea like a "Down home BBQ". Help the charity recruit volunteers to do BBQ side dishes. The competitors could cook ribs and chicken and the town folk could sit down to an afternoon BBQ. People are going to come to BBQ competitions if they can eat BBQ. I know many who hate the attitude of some competitors who can't be bothered to be nice when telling how they aren't allowed to give out food. Yeah it stinks to be asked but thats why they came down. Maybe a way to make that clear to the public before they are disappointed on turn in day.

It should require a boilerplate for support expectation such as electricians for initial set up and support throughout the event especially during peak times. Water should have the same support, possible redundancies and etc. Sanitation is always hit or miss at a contest so possibly tracking attendance estimates with sanitation complaints to gear for the right ratio of toilets to people. Does anyone know how they do attendance estimates?

All the above could fall onto a punchlist to help the organizational staff cross the t's and dot the i's. This is an area that I think the different organizers on this board could hash out. We've all seen the good the bad and the ugly contest so I am sure that info from each organizers "need to do" list could be used to make something "better" then whats out there.

last but not least you need the attention to detail. No one wants to sweat the small stuff but thats exactly what should be done. You've got 3 outlets for each team on invidual trees yet you wire can't carry the load. Two water connections with 45 pounds of pressure and the end of the line but the transfers are low volume hose so they kep breaking under the pressure. You get a local artisan to fabricate 65 hand crafted works of art for trophies but spells it chiken or carves the wrong date. Unfortunately all the minutia is what is seen and the greatest of efforts can be dismantled by the smallest thing.

I think this community can move mountains if asked. If everyone that wants to be can feel involved in it then the support would follow.

Back