Bandera Restore Story and Pics

ace27705

Knows what a fatty is.
I began my restore on a Bandera smoker I acquired in early October.
Smoker was in bad shape. Full of rust in the firebox, lower deck etc.
It did not come with a water pan either. The firebox lid was bent our of shape and would not close properly. It was also painted with some kind of brushed on black paint which was not done properly. I began with removing all the rust with a wire wheel attachment on my rotary grinder. I was able to re bend the fire box lid with some pry bars.
I went to town with my wire wheel grinder to finish removing this awful brush on coating that was all over the smoker. From reading the Bandera 101 document that was found here at BBQ Brethren I created the heat baffle mod. A friend of mine who owns another smoker just like this gave me the dimensions for the water pan and I created my own stand using nuts and bolts to make a lift and added a water pan/ metal bowl
I refinished the smoker with some nice high temp flat black paint. Then I decided to get creative and paint the door red. At first I wanted to do a flat red but found that finding a high temp red paint in a flat finish was impossible. All I could find was gloss red. I was afraid that using a gloss paint would show any imperfections in the door. I tried sand blasting the door only to find that it started to put pits in the metal so I tried paint stripper BAM !!! the paint was gone and the door was as smooth as could be. Some high temp primer and gloss paint and POW ! awesome. Replaced the wheels and here we are. The last things I plan to do is to make or purchase a fire basket and restore the logo to the front door using a print that I was able to make from taking a picture of an existing Bandera smoker logo and with a little help from photo shop and a local print company
I plan to have a stencil made and refinish the logo. I have included pics of the ongoing project. I was not able to upload as many of them as I wanted but here it is.The next thread I'm about to post will have the attached logo of the older Bandera's that can be used to create a stencil. Thanks for reading !!!
Thanks
Adam

Attachments

• bandera1.jpg
    bandera1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 360
  • bandera3.jpg
    bandera3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 358
  • bandera5.jpg
    bandera5.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 357
  • bandera7.jpg
    bandera7.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 357
  • bandera9.jpg
    bandera9.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 359
That looks wonderful. Particularly interesting because I've been contemplating purchasing one of those used. It seems really practical and can be made into a decent smoker.

Looking Good! :thumb:

My Bandera had a little rust also when I got it.... :twitch: .... I'm not messing with a basket cuz I have a UDS for Charcoal Smoking.

He - The Beave - is Good to go now. I cut off the firebox lid and threw it away and just used 3/'8" plate flat lid and Frankenstein patched the rest. Mine had been molested a few times before as firbox was welded on.

So whens the seasoning and first cook happening?

That looks wonderful. Particularly interesting because I've been contemplating purchasing one of those used. It seems really practical and can be made into a decent smoker.

Next time you see one (esp for $75) youd better not think about getting it- just get it!

I used some high temp rustiloum flat black from lowes. Be careful because they are offering 40% more in a can at the same price but it is GLOSS .the red was a high temp gloss ford red at auto zone. The black covered great..just take ya time and overlap each cover a little and you wont get those spray trails.dont let it dry before you cover one whole side ..if you see tracks in the paint cover them well before it starts drying and it will look good.

I will post new pics soon when I get to logo on the rig.if any of you have a bandera and are looking for a good stencil check my other post out.

Back