THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TrustTheDust

Full Fledged Farker
A couple weekends ago I used the Hog Apple Beans recipe and they turned out great. The only issue I had was that after cooking the concoction together the beans got pretty mushy. I used bush's baked beans and went from there. Are there any other products out there that might produce a more firm bean?
I realize I could start from scratch and soak my own beans, but just takes too much time. Any insight would be helpful THANKS!

A couple weekends ago I used the Hog Apple Beans recipe and they turned out great. The only issue I had was that after cooking the concoction together the beans got pretty mushy. I used bush's baked beans and went from there. Are there any other products out there that might produce a more firm bean?
I realize I could start from scratch and soak my own beans, but just takes too much time. Any insight would be helpful THANKS!

This would be my answer.

I can't think of a reason for them to get mushy other than stirring to often? That might break them down if they are cooked for too long and/or stirred too much. I generally have no problems with Bush's.

I have had the same problem with Bush's beans. I went with Goya and have not had a problem since. There really is a difference.

Good luck.

If you stir them a lot it will break them down. Just stir in the ingredients and mix then I use a silicone spatula to stir while simmering a few times here and there. Mine are never mushy.

On the grill, Low heat, long time, lid on the beginning, then lid off. Steam coming out of the pot takes some moisture out and keeps the beans firm. Never oven!

Back