Backyard Build

Cool cooker, hopefully it'll go to someone who will appreciate the work that went into it and not someone like the a$$ who won your truck raffle.

Thanks guys I appreciate the positive feedback. The way I look at it if they don't like it I'll be glad to give them their money back!!!

I was thinking about building another one just like it to sell but I'm afraid it won't and then I've got money tied up in it.

Thanks guys I appreciate the positive feedback. The way I look at it if they don't like it I'll be glad to give them their money back!!!

I was thinking about building another one just like it to sell but I'm afraid it won't and then I've got money tied up in it.

It'd Sell. :thumb: Are u gonna put angle cpl inches below cooking grate for tuning plates?

No plates. The heat comes in at grate level. I have done several biscuits and cookers where the heat comes from below and the biscuits are more done on the bottom. The last test I did was on shanaynay when I finished the build and the biscuits we done almost perfectly uniform throughout the entire biscuit. I did the test for 20 min at 315°.
Here is the pic from that test.

Last edited:
Thanks for the positive feed back. I enjoy building the backyard cookers. I does suck knowing that I'll never get to light a fire in it. I'll have it around till thanksgiving and that's when it'll be given away.

You could cook a few butts in it and call it "Pre seasoned". :-D Great Pit!

You sir from what I see is that you are a master welder.
I was wondering what the diameter of the pipe is. Hard to tell from the photos and my bad eyes. Do you think you could put a whole hog on that double door smoker? Have you considered that partition between the double doors to be hinged with an internal sliding deadbolt?
Just thinking out loud here.

The chamber is 4'x24". It's 1/4" and the inner box is also 1/4" and is 18" deep, 20" tall and wide. That yields the proper cubic ft ratio to the chamber. The thing weights about 700 lbs. I build everything in my little 20x20 shop. I finished the one yesterday morning and started working on a cowboy cooker. I can't sit in the house I have to be doing something. Mother Nature is on vacation right now.

As far as the big cooker(shanaynay) I haven't ever thought about cooking a whole hog. But yeah I could figure out something. The sealing strips would have to be on the outside so yeah it would be possible.

I forgot to post the finished pic. We took it to the football game latter night cause some folks wanted to see it and get on the board to win it. Had a few people ask about buying it but I told them this one wasn't for sale. BUT I did tell'em I could build another one.

Last edited:
Coincidentally, I'm in a raffle for a small smoker (think "Char-Griller" size) to be given away tomorrow. I don't really need another one (I love my Lang), but it was for a good cause so I bought 4 tickets.

But, I gotta tell ya, I would MUCH rather be in the running for yours! Very nice work. :thumb:

I appreciate the positive feedback. I walked around it today just lookin and it's hard to let it go. But I was looking in the shop today and I have some material to get started on one for myself. I just need to come up with the money for the chamber and some of the other parts. I've got a cowboy cooker I'm working on right now to sell when I get done with it I'll start on it. I like the big cooker but it's just a little hard to move around for just some ribs and such. I need to sell a few more of them so if somebody is in the market give me a holla!!!

Back