Back to L&S St. Louis ribs, #22

Enrico Brandizzi

Babbling Farker
Hi Brethren,
I got a pork asado (spare ribs 6" large with tips cut off) and I set the 26 OTG for indirect smoking L&S. I use snake method but I went wrong with briqs number, 3 instead of 4. Thus all my cook session was round 220/230 F instead of 250F.
Anyway this is the the story.

Untrimmed pork asado, w/tip on

IMG_1198 di BBQness, su Flickr

Trimmed, not very well in the meat side

IMG_1209 di BBQness, su Flickr

In fridge in veggies bath to infuse some hearty flavor

IMG_1230 di BBQness, su Flickr

Set the 26 OTG w/ snake method and pizza pan in foil to shield and diffuse the heat

IMG_1225 di BBQness, su Flickr

Rub with Killer Hog 1 layer dry rub and let it rest 1 hour in fridge

IMG_1244 di BBQness, su Flickr

Start smoking at 220 F and went on for 3 hours till the bent test said yes

IMG_1273 di BBQness, su Flickr

Then in foil with some light brown sugar, butter, honey and WATER. No apple juice this time because I run out of it. 1 glass more or less.

Back in the kettle for 1 hour and 30 minutes when I unfoiled to check and it was like this

IMG_1285 di BBQness, su Flickr

Then I let it dry for 30 minutes (same cooking T) and sauced it whit a light layer home made sauce.
20 minutes later it was like this

IMG_1297 di BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_1301 di BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_1315 di BBQness, su Flickr

They were super moist but I didn't trim well so you can see some fat in the slices and in the bite through. Tenderness was quite good maybe a little overdone. Taste for me was good.
Next, I will shorten foil phase a little, maybe 15 min, and will trim much better because at this LOW temp fat doesn't melt well/much, but moistness was spot on.

All details at [ame]http://youtu.be/wLAf2n_7b3o[/ame]

Thanks for stopping by.
Enrico

They look tasty! I didn't see anything wrong with the trimming...

Curious, you cooked them nekkid until they passed the bend test and then cooked them in foil longer? That may be why they were "quite good maybe a little overdone".

Please let me understand!

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood.

Start smoking at 220 F and went on for 3 hours till the bent test said yes

When the ribs pass the bend test, they are done. The ribs in the image above look to be almost done to me. Then you foil them and cook them longer:

Then in foil with some light brown sugar, butter, honey and WATER. No apple juice this time because I run out of it. 1 glass more or less.

Back in the kettle for 1 hour and 30 minutes when I unfoiled to check and it was like this

That is what I meant by that might be the reason you said they were maybe a little over done.

Back