THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M

Matt_A

Here's the collected photos of the Baby bullet build.

The Vasconia Tamale Steamer pot from Amazon.

IMG_2298.png

Fit test -Sitting on the SJG bottom with the lid in place

IMG_2304.png

The bottom cut out using my jigsaw and a fine tooth hacksaw blade. You can see the 3/4" SS machine screws used for grate rests. After the first smoke, I replaced two of the rests on one side with 1/2" SS machine screws to make it easier to get the grates in and out. Top rests are 3 1/4' down, bottom rests are 7 1/4" down.

IMG_2311.JPG

I used SS Acorn nuts on the outside ends of the grate rests, Safe AND pretty.

IMG_2308.JPG

The grates have about 1/8" cearance from the sides of the cooker.

IMG_2306.JPG

Next came the cooking grate thermometers installed about 3/4" below each cooking grate.

IMG_2312.JPG

I then added a "water tight" fitting for inserting the cooking thermometers. You can find these in the electrical aisle in Lowe's or Home Depot. 1/2" NM/SE Connector.
031857490928xl.jpg

You will need to buy a 1/2" Rigid Nut for the fitting:

031857491017xl.jpg

I used a #4 Step Drill to drill the hole for the fittng.

IMG_2323.JPG

I picked up two 12"x24" 18 ga. expanded metal sheets at Lowe's to make the charcoal basket. I used offset aviation snips to cut a piece of it into a circle the size of the original charcoal grate. I also cut some 3' wide strips to make the sides. I then wired the bottom to the old grate with SS safety wire, and then cut the sides to fit around the grate. The sides are fastened together with 1/2" SS machine screws and SS fender washers. The sides were then fastened to the bottom with SS safety wire.

IMG_2319.JPG

And finally... it's COOKIN"!!

IMG_2334.JPG

Things still to do:

1. Apply high temp silicone in the lip of the SJ lid to help seal it better.
  2. Replace the handle with a Marty Leach handle (already ordered.)
  3. Figure out some method to make the SJ air vents seal better when closed.
  4. Replace the El Cheapo pit thermometers with Tel-True.
  5. Make a floor stand to hold this at a better level to work with.
That's the Baby Bullet Build in a Nutshell.

Great post!! Love the pics!! That is one tricked out little smoker. Makes an excellent tutorial.

Add to your to do list a lever/handle for the bottom vent...kind of a PITA when its hot!

Back