Baby Backs on the Akorn

That may be the issue as I was finishing a bag of apple and only had one big chunk and a bunch of chips.

You could pass with 2 or 3 chunks for ribs. If you have a good load of lump in there, I would bury those chunks maybe a layer of lump between the hot coals. try to position them in the middle of the cooker so it's directly above the hot coals, if that makes sense.

You could pass with 2 or 3 chunks for ribs. If you have a good load of lump in there, I would bury those chunks maybe a layer of lump between the hot coals. try to position them in the middle of the cooker so it's directly above the hot coals, if that makes sense.

Yeah I usually use 2 or 3 chunks for ribs and try and blend them in with the coals. Maybe not enough chunks. I will give that a shot. Thanks!

I found if you want more smoke, use chips vs chunks, since the Acorn burns so little fuel. Worked for me.
Nice lookin ribs!

Those are some nice looking ribs! Well played!

Very nice looking ribs! :thumb:

Great lookin' bones!

Thanks brothers!

I found if you want more smoke, use chips vs chunks, since the Acorn burns so little fuel. Worked for me.
Nice lookin ribs!

There was a lot of chips this time actually. I think I will ger more smoke flavor the smokin stone. Still waiting for that to come in.

Not unhappy with the smokiness but I think I can definitely get more.

There was a lot of chips this time actually. I think I will ger more smoke flavor the smokin stone. Still waiting for that to come in.Not unhappy with the smokiness but I think I can definitely get more.

I'm not sure the stone will make a difference unless your going to let the drippins hit the stone VS catching them. But I never had/used one. I don't use chips, I just call all the small pieces in the large bags of chunks, chips. I use those in the Acorn and my mini since the total fuel burned is so small. For me, the large chunks just never get burned up enough during a cook, to few coals burning. So using the small pieces gives more of a constant smoke as I add a lot to make up for the lack of smoke that I would typically get in other smokers. But I do like a smokier flavor profile.

I'm not sure the stone will make a difference unless your going to let the drippins hit the stone VS catching them. But I never had/used one. I don't use chips, I just call all the small pieces in the large bags of chunks, chips. I use those in the Acorn and my mini since the total fuel burned is so small. For me, the large chunks just never get burned up enough during a cook, to few coals burning. So using the small pieces gives more of a constant smoke as I add a lot to make up for the lack of smoke that I would typically get in other smokers. But I do like a smokier flavor profile.

I agree I just cut the pieces smaller with a hatchet. I dont buy chunks, I just cut up splits I already have for my stickburner

I dont know how that stone is going to give you more wood smoke

flavor

I think the stone will help because the pizza pan currently blocks most of the smoke from hitting the meat. The stone is open on 3 ends so it should allow the smoke to culirculate in the cooker better. We shall see.

I'm not complaining the ribs were definitely some of the best I've done so far. Mostly because of the advice I've read here!

Ebijack is right. I had the stone in mine and had to work to get a smoke flavor. The stone does a good job as a diffuser though and your Temps should be more stable. What he said about using the small pieces of wood chunks is good advice too. Chips are too small chunks are too big. Split the chunks into 3-4 smaller pieces will work too. In my experience you gotta work a little to get that good smoked flavor when using an Akorn.

In my opinion the Akorn is SO efficient with heat it actually works against itself when smoking. It takes such a small fire to get Temps to 250-300 and it'll stay that way ALL day without hardly burning any coal. Well this means it isn't burning that wood either. I would put the small tiny chunks close to the middle too because that's where the fire is started. You've probably already noticed it doesn't burn much during the cook process.
I think you'll really like the stone, I just don't think it'll solve your lacking smoke flavor. That will take experimenting with wood sizes and placement. But you'll get it down, I have faith! :thumb:

I think the stone will help because the pizza pan currently blocks most of the smoke from hitting the meat. The stone is open on 3 ends so it should allow the smoke to culirculate in the cooker better. We shall see. I'm not complaining the ribs were definitely some of the best I've done so far. Mostly because of the advice I've read here!

I found a 15 inch pizza pan worked much better than a 16 inch. The 15 was tough to find.
Just a thought.

Back