Automatic Fan on Old Country Pecos?

JustBone

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Sean
Looking for anyone that’s added an automatic fan to a entry level smoker like Old Country Pecos offset smoker.

I’m happy with the performance and prefer cooking with post oak.

Looking for recommendations to reduce the amount of monitoring to maintain low temps. That’s the main draw back with using wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Direct experience? no. Know someone has done this? gotta say no again.

Just my 2 cents- but offset+ wood = babysitting. Temp is based off a small, clean burning fire- that you are feeding every 45 minutes or so- it's sort of the nature of the beast. An ATC might help you out- I'm just doubtful. On a charcoal fired cooker, the ATC works by adding air or choking air off as needed. Wood fire needs to breathe.

The Brethren are an adventurous lot. I'm sure someone who has hands-on experience will be along- to let you know how it went for them.

good luck.

I have no experience with ATC's.

I did watch T-Roy Cooks You Tube channel when he had a Yoder Wichita. He tried to use an ATC and gave up on it. He said the fan blew up too much ash that got into the cook chamber.

I would try to find the exact video, but it could've been one of many. He no longer has the Wichita. He still has a fire management vid on that smoker, however.

ATC's really don't work well on offsets because they function by depriving the fire of oxygen to keep temps from rising. So effectively they will snuff out the fire, and then the wood will start smoldering and churn out nasty thick white smoke. When it comes to an offset you want to chase a clean burning fire first, and then worry about maintaining temperatures.

You can cook hot on an offset though; 275-325° for a couple of hours and get a lot of really good smoke on the meat. Once you get a good color you can pull the meat off the offset and put it in the oven (or another type of smoker which maintains temps better) to finish it off.

Back