Aussie T Bone dinner (pr0n)

I am liking i, liking it a lot. Love the idea of the cabbage and peas, never would have thought of that. Was the cast iron pre heated and what oven temp did you use to finish it off. I only ask, because I did a chicken in a hot cast iron pan a couple days ago in the oven turned out great, with no fuss, and little mess.

I have not had a gas stove in forever, but some of the best steaks I ever had came from the broiler on them. I have an electric with a broiler, but somehow just don't think it would work as well, but that is just me I guess.
Dave

Dave, I put the CI skillet on a burner and jiggle it every few minutes changing positions on the gas until it is smoking, then add the oil and butter and get cooking.
When one side is browned i flip the steak and put the hot skillet into the oven which has been heated to 220C.
The skillet heat browns the flip side with residual heat and I turn the oven off.

This means you get a cooked and rested steak ready for cutting when you pull it out.
Works like a charm, and is hard to beat.

I agree, electric just doesn't do the same job as gas! :noidea:

Thanks guys!

Beautiful piece of meat. This cut is such a strange thing. It used to be such an American thing, slicing through the bone to make a steak having two different characteristics and not an easy thing to grill either. I never used to see them when I traveled overseas, but now they're all over the butcher shops. When did they show up down under? Are they a recent thing in the last few years, or have they always been there? You did a fine job on that, BTW. :thumb:

Beautiful piece of meat. This cut is such a strange thing. It used to be such an American thing, slicing through the bone to make a steak having two different characteristics and not an easy thing to grill either. I never used to see them when I traveled overseas, but now they're all over the butcher shops. When did they show up down under? Are they a recent thing in the last few years, or have they always been there? You did a fine job on that, BTW. :thumb:

Thanks Gore.
They were a favorite of my fathers generation, but before that I don't know when they arrived.
Our butchers cut them lower down than your 'porterhouses' so the tender filet side is smaller on ours.
As for origins, it is a classic Italian cut that may have been introduced to our cultures with immigrants, or even prisoners of WWII, of which we had so very many.
The Italians kicked the French's arses at surrender in WWII, no offense to anyone.
I mean, Mussolini, who wouldn't?:becky:

Years ago when my ship was visiting Fremantle (bad time as we had just lost the America's Cup to the durned Aussies, and everyone I met made sure I knew), went to a restaurant where the menu was written on a chalkboard. That night I learned about Aussie proportions. I ordered a t-bone steak, a bit later, the waiter came back to the table and told me they were out of regular t-bones and would I accept two baby beef t-bones. I said no problem, and when the meal was delivered, I had two t-bones that were larger than the t-bones you get in the restaurants here in the states. I just looked at them, the waiter asked if there was a problem, I said not but if these were babies, I wanted to see a regular sized t-bone. The rest of the meal was approximately the same on the size of the portions. Ate like a King.

Last edited:
That looks great. I'd really be interested in the recipe for the mushroom sauce, it looks rich and amazing!

Thanks,
Randy

Years ago when my ship was visiting Fremantle (bad time as we had just lost the America's Cup to the durned Aussies, and everyone I met made sure I knew), went to a restaurant where the menu was written on a chalkboard. That night I learned about Aussie proportions. I ordered a t-bone steak, a bit later, the waiter came back to the table and told me they were out of regular t-bones and would I accept two baby beef t-bones. I said no problem, and when the meal was delivered, I had two t-bones that were larger than the t-bones you get in the restaurants here in the states. I just looked at them, the waiter asked if there was a problem, I said not but if these were babies, I wanted to see a regular sized t-bone. The rest of the meal was approximately the same on the size of the portions. Ate like a King.

I was in Fremantle then, went out to watch the cup from a launch.
When I got back to shore, some arses had stolen my sports car. Crushed.

That looks great. I'd really be interested in the recipe for the mushroom sauce, it looks rich and amazing!

Thanks,
Randy

Slice three hand size mushrooms finely and fine dice a couple of shallots.
Cook the shallots in butter on low heat with lid on for 5 mins, add mushrooms and cook till tender, add peppercorns and crush with the back of a fork. Add some lemon juice and more butter if needed, then pour in cream and boil.
Reduce till thick and flavors have melded, serve over steak.
:yo:

Ahhhh...heavy cream. I should have known. :doh: Thanks, I'll give it a shot on Wednesday....tri tip day. :thumb:

Thanks again,
Randy

Back