From the MSU Lab: Slow Cooked Beef Marrowbone Rigatoni Bolognese

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Haven’t grilled/smoked all week – it’s been rainy off and on and busy with a multitude of life challenges at the moment. Despite that, good eats always takes the edge off, so I decided to repurpose my traditional Italian meat sauce into a neo-Bolognese sauce, with added beef marrowbones for extra flavor. Instead of cooking the sauce on the stovetop, I decided to slow cook it in the oven in a clay pot.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This MSU experiment began with:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A traditional [/FONT][FONT=&quot]mirepoix (1 small white onion, 1/4 stalk celery, 1/3 carrot, all chopped very fine, then sauteed in EVOO till translucent)
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]28 oz can of plum tomatoes, blended
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8 chopped garlic cloves
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Browned ground beef & sweet Italian sausage, 1/2 lb each
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 bay leaves
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A small handful of oregano and Italian seasoning [/FONT]

The sauce cooked for over 3 hours, and I added salt at the 1 hour point. When the sauce was done, I pulled the bones from the sauce, dug out the marrow and added it to the sauce. Boiled some rigatoni to a bit past al dente, then did a quick high heat finish of the sauce and pasta with some Amish butter in a large saucepan to get the pasta fully coated. Served with a bit of fresh Italian parsley right before bowls hit the table:

BeFYWzI.jpg

The verdict? I will be retiring my go to Italian meat sauce method for this moving forward. The depth of flavor was incomparable, plus cooking in the oven is less work.

Last edited:
Yes Sir! Was thinking of doing something similar today, except throwing it on the Big Joe to cook.

Yes Sir! Was thinking of doing something similar today, except throwing it on the Big Joe to cook.

Andy, you should give it a whirl. I found the steady, even cooking in the oven to be a game changer, just like it is with chili.

Next go-around I'll try and document the cook and include the recipe.

That looks incredible Richard! I've got 3 bags of good quality bones. This def is a must try. Hope everything else is ok.

This one speaks to my soul Moose! Absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

Andy, you should give it a whirl. I found the steady, even cooking in the oven to be a game changer, just like it is with chili.

/QUOTE]

Nice !! When I started doing my beef stew and pot roast in the oven...it was so much better. Now you say chili...and I'm like...should have thought of that myself.

The bone marrow in tomato sauce...genius!

Thanks for the post.

Back