THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

... dunno if I should smoke it again tomorrow, smoked it 10 hours today.
It depends on what you want. I cold smoke our bacon about 22 hours (two A-MAZ-N maze loads), but it is used primarily in cooking where the stronger flavor is desirable. For just frying and eating, this much smoke might be too much. I suggest that you split the bacon into thirds, leave one piece as-is and try the other two with different levels of added smoke. An ounce of data trumps a pound of theory.

Can it be frozen whole, or should I slice everything and vacuum pack the slices in suitable packages?
I don't see why it couldn't be frozen whole, but why? I slice our bacon, vacuum pack it in 8 ounce quantities, and freeze it.

Sorry didn't mean to imply I preferred that option, just wondered what was best. I did slice and vacuum pack the bacon, the ends I couldn't slice I cubed instead. I did not feel up for another smoke session today so everything got packaged up.

NG5LFRwh.jpg

0AF0x3jh.jpg

Next time I'll try less fatty bacon, I am saving the grease though...

Looks great. I’m having a hard time going back to store bought, and by the looks of it you’ll found out why :-D

Looks great, glad the weather finally cooperated and you could get it smoked. The smoking process is totally up to you. I prefer cold smoking and will go around 8 hours, then wrapped and back to the refrigerator overnight. Sometimes I'll do another round the next day (2X), and I'll go 3X on occasion. Following that I mellow it 2 or 3 days in the fridge before slicing and vacuum sealing.

Back