Attempting some bacon

... dunno if I should smoke it again tomorrow, smoked it 10 hours today.
It depends on what you want. I cold smoke our bacon about 22 hours (two A-MAZ-N maze loads), but it is used primarily in cooking where the stronger flavor is desirable. For just frying and eating, this much smoke might be too much. I suggest that you split the bacon into thirds, leave one piece as-is and try the other two with different levels of added smoke. An ounce of data trumps a pound of theory.

Can it be frozen whole, or should I slice everything and vacuum pack the slices in suitable packages?
I don't see why it couldn't be frozen whole, but why? I slice our bacon, vacuum pack it in 8 ounce quantities, and freeze it.

Sorry didn't mean to imply I preferred that option, just wondered what was best. I did slice and vacuum pack the bacon, the ends I couldn't slice I cubed instead. I did not feel up for another smoke session today so everything got packaged up.

NG5LFRwh.jpg

0AF0x3jh.jpg

Next time I'll try less fatty bacon, I am saving the grease though...

Looks great. I’m having a hard time going back to store bought, and by the looks of it you’ll found out why :-D

Looks great, glad the weather finally cooperated and you could get it smoked. The smoking process is totally up to you. I prefer cold smoking and will go around 8 hours, then wrapped and back to the refrigerator overnight. Sometimes I'll do another round the next day (2X), and I'll go 3X on occasion. Following that I mellow it 2 or 3 days in the fridge before slicing and vacuum sealing.

Back