Assassin strikes again

jkief

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Jeffry
My company commander and I wanted to do a big Easter event for our Soldiers and family. We raised a bunch of money and started calling around. To feed 170 people with brisket, chicken thighs, Mac and cheese, and baked beans was going to be over 3,500$. My commander asked if I would do it instead. So I embarked on another cook. 7 briskets, 64 chicken thighs, 3 pans of bacon Mac and cheese (6 pounds dry noodles), and 2 pans of baked beans. The brisket was cooked over night. I trailered the Assassin 48 and cabinet to the event and cooked the thighs and sides on site. There was about 1 pound of brisket left, no beans, 5 thighs, and maybe about a pound of noodles left. Assassin worked hard and I’m really pushing it beyond what it was made for. Grease is a nightmare as there’s no real management system in place for the grease, but I can’t fault the cooker. It wasn’t designed to smoke 7 briskets at one time. My Battalion Commander asked me to cater the Battalion’s function in May so must’ve been pretty good. I meant to take finished pics, but things got into a frenzy once the food was done…

Attachments

• 302BF5FB-40C8-461B-A0AE-7194939B70F6.jpg
    302BF5FB-40C8-461B-A0AE-7194939B70F6.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 196
  • E6E8AA7E-CA8A-4EFF-8C59-D1C1093B1A9D.jpg
    E6E8AA7E-CA8A-4EFF-8C59-D1C1093B1A9D.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 194
Great job and thank you for supporting our troops and their families… Those moments and memories will last a lifetime… Oorah!!!

SECRET'S OUT! JEFFRY'S GOT A NICE BIG SMOKER AND HE KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

You will automatically be appointed pitmaster for any and all future events. :shock: :heh:

Funny…Got the green light to price out a 24x60 Shirley for that very reason!!

Quick....get it on order before she changes her mind!

Smokin' that many briskets or butts will be a lot easier in an offset than it was on your Assassin grill.

Trying to maintain temp while also maintaining indirect heat with all those packers crowding the grill space must have been a chore. I don't know how you did it.

And when you retire, you can use the Shirley to do a little catering if you want.

You may have just created a new rank....(Pit)Master Sargent!
Nicely done and congrats on your successful cook.

Thank you and the battalion for your/their service ..... Offset + Assassin = more great events ..... involve the group ... there must be a few backyard pitmasters among the them ....

Looks great! Would love to get my hands on an assassin grill.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Where does all that grease go on the Assassin?

If it’s just a small cook, it’s not an issue. It evaporates on the v plate. Large cooks and when the grease falls in front or behind the v plate, it just pools on the bottom of the grill under the ash pan. When it gets too full, it pours out of the door all over the ground. If I were to use it as designed and didn’t overload it, it would be OK. But a grease drain design would be awesome!!!

Back