Assassin Pellet Grill - First Thoughts

jpeisen

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
John
Alright, so I've had my Assassin Pellet Grill for about a week now, so I'm going to share some initial thoughts about it.

First some background:

I recently moved from Tulsa, OK to Pittsburgh, PA. I did buy a house with a good-sized yard, but there just was no place for my Bell Fab trailer. So downsizing was necessary, and I decided to also go for easier cooks.

I had a hard time researching pellet grills. Every manufacturer has their thing, and their thing is the most important. I eventually read a post which said, essentially, they all are pretty similar - boxes with a firepot inside. So I figured out what was important for me (cook size, total size, build quality, and cost) and put together a spreadsheet. I used that to weed out the 12 contenders. The Assassin was in the final group and, to be honest, coming from a custom offset I just wanted a similar experience, so the final decision was gut feel.

After an long wait (partially imposed by me, as I was coordinating grill delivery with moving my home), what was delivered to me on the 24th was this beauty:

IQOUhM0M1SL6VvSk5ukJ-Y8n20TuJUvjqxbIdBGs4D30uWsnJvTBMwyyMm_Au6huGerMWheX3CfElqNFFLGYzg1SZKphy1Rowxbxo7P7VFxKrpwkzAzlyDEdBUuogELsMz1sdUxiF-4=w2400

UIVZc7FYFNm5Tt4tatRqbJZL4CbJrmddmTTePBhQp4dWuQPbmtSLi9zZw6JPxCYWC54-DqShO-kuIhaBvAylqarEFH-Cv9tdIHxegUvv_P-DUXs_NYVc5D6CF8ZB6BixArKAg_aEXso=w2400

0U8Fuzn8AMncYt6N0RIVG4m5LOVmIdAQGJ3J0sEKEDMbP8duoeK1i52sUf2anJPfAZ1mH2FfArYNLKFhRIwml2p3IJ0-yG_yC_Y9CyQGvKD_JN4rp_iRgf8DKMYw7kW6f_zKjBwr2ps=w2400

The physical stuff:
The grill measures 47wx24dx59h. The grates are 31.5wx21d (bottom) and 31.5wx16d (top) for 1166 square inches of cook area. (On my list, only the Pitts and Spits Maverick 1250 had more 2-grate cooking area.[1]) 5" between the grates. Both grates slide out.

It weighs in at around 300lb according to their site. I believe it - this thing is solid. The wheels aren't huge, but it moves easily enough on concrete which isn't always level. The stand and the shelves are very solidly constructed. The shelves have a good amount of heft to them.

The standard color is black. I paid a bit extra for the custom blue pearl coat. the color is automotive paint selected on the PPG site, so it can be pretty much anything you'd care to have...

It has a PID controller which steps from 200-500 in 5 degree increments. It seems to hold temps well once it gets there. I'm still learning how to use it, as it tends to overshoot and then drop back to the setting. There's a meat probe and when used it alerts when the meat hits its set point.

Cooking:
I've done 2 cooks on it so far, just to get a feel for it. The first was some steaks my wife had bought the day it arrived. They were good, but it's clear I will need a searing solution. On Memorial Day I smoked a rack of beef back ribs. Started at 200 (after it settled) for ~2h, then 285 until they completed. They weren't as meaty as plate ribs, but were delicious. Pics:

o6ne_yyjdBE5hQJtQk4wgGTEuTjfNiPnzJBnzazQ3UUWncj9QdSVL2Lu8WCelONSPzP6VAzrlR86EZd-vgXjJ7pbla4HEqn65rIRByuBGEj3nn-ZMbXWHvbn4DV9ksTTQ6nN6NRIel0=w2400

U_aZjhPcl4wI-Pup0tmLkbimukoJ2Gx3aBr_HXM3jTiytnu8j9ge8yru4IkwoGU8RnztLADGTgIt8YimcKzJcIuXb78MeKiUQgQxYj-8F8Oibpj2M0HV3Zu47I2th8E8TZb_2bPpeXk=w2400

Initial impressions:
So far I love this Assassin Pellet Grill and strongly recommend it. It's beautiful, solidly built, cooks well, and provides a lot of cook area in a relatively small footprint.

There are a couple of things to consider though:

The first is a lack of a manual for the controller. I'm a computer geek and am okay with figuring it out on my own, but others might not be. It is easy to operate to "just cook" but fine-tuning it might be a challenge.

The second is the shipping cost. This is a large item being shipped via a lift-gate freight service. It adds a significant amount to the total bill. It does arrive assembled, by the way - I just had to slot in the removable shelves.

Sorry for the length of this. To think I was worried I had nothing to say.. Anyway, I hope you find it useful.

-John

1 - FWIW both Blaz'n Grillworks and Yoder have multi-shelf options to boost their cook areas. I just evaluated cooking area with 2 shelves.

Nice smoker and good looking ribs.

I like the gas spring on the door. It appears to be set up to hold the door shut tight and when opened the lever goes over center to hold the door open. Pretty neat set up.

Thanks for posting this. It’s an interesting option for those looking for a pellet grill.

Nice looking ribs too! :thumb:

Congrats on your new cooker John, the blue looks fantastic, everything Assassin builds is top notch.

I really want an assasin 48” grill. I was hoping for a little bit more on their pellet grill. Being from Tulsa how was your bellfab?

Thanks for the review. Good luck with that beautiful cooker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great looking cooker and ribs! Can’t go wrong with an Assassin, congrats

Beautilful smoker, thanks for the write-up. Looks like once searing is addressed this would be one if the not the top unit it's it's price point.

This was in my final four grills however I found out about it a little late and already had my mind made up on the MAK 2 Star General. I had deep interest in the Assassin 36” Charcoal smoker and I had been in contact with the owners but winded up getting a PBC and it is good enough for my charcoal needs at the moment. I had then found out they did a pellet but as I said I was locked in on the MAK 2 Star General and just felt the MAK is a better grill, but does come with the price tag. Had I known they built a pellet grill when I was inquiring about the 36 Charcoal smoker, I probably would have bought it right then. I still think they are fantastic grills and they are pretty damn good looking at that.

Congrats on the grill and the new home, be sure to keep us informed in the pellet cooking thread. I am really interested in seeing how the grill does on long cooks.

First of all, thanks for everyone's comments. I'm sorry for not responding sooner. I'll try to answer some of the oher comments below.

I like the gas spring on the door. It appears to be set up to hold the door shut tight and when opened the lever goes over center to hold the door open. Pretty neat set up.

Yes, that is exactly what it does, and it does it really well.

Thanks for posting this. It’s an interesting option for those looking for a pellet grill.

Yes, I think it compares very well. This is the spreadsheet I was using to evaluate the grills. It's not complete (shipping is a guess for some of the grills), but it's what I was working from. Maybe others could find it useful.

I really want an assasin 48” grill. I was hoping for a little bit more on their pellet grill. Being from Tulsa how was your bellfab?

Yeah, maybe, but this thing has a nice bang for the buck. I liked my BellFab a lot, but sadly it only got fired up a few times last year. And my new home just didn't have a spot where I could keep it. The Assassin fits right into that corner just outside our kitchen, which is perfect.

Beautilful smoker, thanks for the write-up. Looks like once searing is addressed this would be one if the not the top unit it's it's price point.

I'm really using it as a smoker myself. i have a little portable propane grill or some cast iron cookware for searing. Or maybe I should get a new weed burner, since that was deemed the searing winner by "Sous vide Everything"'s testing. :wink:

This was in my final four grills however I found out about it a little late and already had my mind made up on the MAK 2 Star General.

I was considering some pricier grills, but with new home projects on the horizon, I felt i should maybe not splurge so much. The 1 star was in the spreadsheet, but just seemed a bit small to me, looking at the numbers I had.

And to your other comment, yes, I hope to do a long cook soon, though that's probably a week or more away since we have some plans this weekend..

-J

Appreciate the post. On a few of the pellet smokers I have seen in person, there is heat deflector plate underneath meat which ends up radiating a lot of heat and over cooking the bottom of meat (it can happen with tuning plates on stickburner as well as I have learned the hard way :-o). Any problem with this on the Assassin pellet?

Back