Arrival!!

Completed my burn in, turned down the temp to 225 degrees and put on a fatty rubbed with Oakridge Dominator. According the the supplied probe the fatty is now at around 98 degrees. Not sure how long it will take to get to my set temp of 170 degrees but I do not care. I'll stay up all night if I have to.

No pics of the fatty but a few fun photos from earlier in the day:

And the anticipation is now behind me!

vDxSUWKh.jpg

Every part of this grill is high quality and heavy duty:

SfPN8d9h.jpg

Putting out some fragrant hickory smoke:

M2XUMeVh.jpg

I opted for the side shelf and am glad I did:

97vYjkth.jpg

Completed my burn in, turned down the temp to 225 degrees and put on a fatty rubbed with Oakridge Dominator. According the the supplied probe the fatty is now at around 98 degrees. Not sure how long it will take to get to my set temp of 170 degrees but I do not care. I'll stay up all night if I have to.

No pics of the fatty but a few fun photos from earlier in the day:

And the anticipation is now behind me!

vDxSUWKh.jpg

Every part of this grill is high quality and heavy duty:

SfPN8d9h.jpg

Putting out some fragrant hickory smoke:

M2XUMeVh.jpg

I opted for the side shelf and am glad I did:

97vYjkth.jpg

Super excited for you buddy! :)

Thanks and thanks for being a great source of information on the MAK grills and organizing the group buy. Without you I certainly wouldn't have made the purchase. So in the end my wife doesn't like you very much hahaha.

You are quite welcome! :)

Sorry to hear that I am not currently on your wife’s “approved friends” list. I do have a feeling that will change with a few cooks in her belly... lol.

After getting an exception, unable to deliver and have to reschedule for another time text this morning, it was delivered. Just waiting for help. I was really surprised how thin the metal is on this.

I was really surprised how thin the metal is on this.

There's more than one way to skin a bear. Some companies (LSG, Outlaw) opt for welded, heavy gauge steel and high temp stove paint. Others (Yoder) use spot welds and goo instead of solid welds. Still others (MAK) opt for rivets, thin hot-dipped steel and powder coating.

Many approaches can yield great BBQ.

Eager to see pics of your cooks!

After getting an exception, unable to deliver and have to reschedule for another time text this morning, it was delivered. Just waiting for help. I was really surprised how thin the metal is on this.

Agreed on the thin metal. Fortunately I have a fascination with thin metal cookers so if you like you can ship your MAK to me just PM me and I will send you my address.

But seriously you are going to love this cooker. I believe MAK decided to go with 16 gauge aluminized steel as it heats up much quicker that thicker metal, is highly resistant to rust, and is substantial enough to hold the heat in very cold temperatures.

From Big Poppa Smokers:
The MAK 1 Star is precision-crafted in the USA from 16 gauge aluminized steel body & 14 gauge stainless steel interior components for max durability and amazing heat retention. It's the same grade material your indoor oven is made from! The MAK 1 Star isn’t just another grill or smoker, it’s a pellet cooker that will deliver top performance for years and years to come.

Last edited:
They have a great reputation for their cookers, I have no doubt it will be a great cooker.

Back