Are you concerned about antibiotics in your meats?

caseydog

somebody shut me the fark up.
I've long been concerned about the long-term ramifications of pumping livestock full of antibiotics, both from a standpoint of whether they are getting into my system, and whether farmers are helping to breed stronger bacteria.

All this antibiotic use -- is it short-term thinking that may create a long term problem for meat eaters like us?

I just read yet another story related to antibiotic resistant bacteria causing meat recalls...

Salmonella Outbreak Reignites Debate Over Antibiotics In Food Supply
by ALLISON AUBREY

With one death and 77 people reported ill, the latest foodborne illness outbreak has led to one of the largest recalls in U.S. history. Food giant Cargill pulled a staggering 36 million pounds of ground turkey from the market. And the victims in this case have gotten very sick — almost one-third have ended up in the hospital.

The most troubling aspect of the outbreak, according to some food safety critics, is that the strain of salmonella that's making people sick is resistant to several antibiotics.

So how did this happen? Farmers who raise food-producing animals use about 29 million pounds of antibiotics each year, according to the Food and Drug Administration. That's about four times as much as doctors prescribe to people.

"Animals are given antibiotics for a number of reasons — including to get them to grow faster," explains Gail Hansen, a veterinarian who works for the Pew Campaign on Human Health and Industrial Farming. "[Antibiotics] are given to perfectly healthy animals to convert their food more efficiently so they can get to market faster."

And she says this practice of routinely adding low doses of medicines to animal feed is creating bacteria resistant to antibiotics.

Salmonella Heidelberg — the strain that has made people sick and led to the recall of ground turkey meat — is resistant to three different antibiotics: ampicillin, streptomycin and tetracycline. There are alternatives that doctors can prescribe to treat people who get foodborne illnesses. But Hansen says it's an example of the problem.

After years of relative inaction, the FDA has begun to respond on the issue, calling the development of antibiotic resistance a serious public health threat. In June 2010, the agency released a guidance document, which is still in draft form, that recommends phasing in measures that would limit the use of certain antibiotics in food-producing animals.

"Using medically important antimicrobial drugs as judiciously as possible is key to minimizing resistance development," wrote Bernadette Dunham, director of the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine in a statement last June.

The watchdog group Center for Science in the Public Interest has petitioned the U.S. Department of Agriculture to change its policies, too. Currently, explains CSPI's Caroline Smith DeWaal, salmonella is not considered an adulterant. This means contaminated meats can't be recalled until they actually cause illness. CSPI is asking the USDA to classify the Heidelberg strain and three others that are antibiotic-resistant as adulterants.

"Hopefully it would result in earlier recalls before there are outbreaks (of foodborne illnesses)," says Smith DeWaal.

The National Turkey Federation says it will keep working with federal agencies on efforts to address antibiotic resistance. "We think the thoughtful way to which the FDA is moving ahead with its framework is a positive way to look at antibiotic use," says Sherrie Rosenblatt, who's vice president of the federation.

But she says people should understand that antibiotic use is necessary.

"We really believe that the responsible use of antibiotics to provide safe, nutritious, affordable foods is the appropriate way to go," says Rosenblatt.

I agree about the concern, but I do not think the use of antibioticts is the cause, but rater the mis-use of them. Just like the antibiotics we take, they must be administered properly.

You also have the greed factor where a rancher may think that if one single dose is good, a double dose will be even better to get the animals to market. Often this is the case with medications and steroids being administered in a competitive meat market.

I ate Grade D beef - rejected by the US Air Force - while I was in the navy. Nothing like a hard rubber boot sole to eat with the rubber lobster on halfway night...haha.

So no, I survived that, I'm not worried about the beef I get now.

Jalon

I am worried about anti-biotics, of course, I have had so many injected into me, perhaps there is a problem there. I prefer to buy my meat from more natural sources, or where I can even talk with the folks doing the raising of the meat. It is nor for everyone. And it means I eat less meat usually, as the cost is high.

I am concerned, but not so much because it's in the meat, but the overuse of anti-biotics in general in an overpopulated society. I suppose if you didn't though, you'd just lose as many people, maybe more, over time as you might from the ramifications. Frankly though, I'm not a proponent of making the tings that want to kill us stronger. That's why I hate terrorists.:becky:

Spam wants to kill you Chris, it is nothing personal, just vengeance.

I am worried about anti-biotics, of course, I have had so many injected into me, perhaps there is a problem there. I prefer to buy my meat from more natural sources, or where I can even talk with the folks doing the raising of the meat. It is nor for everyone. And it means I eat less meat usually, as the cost is high.

I bought a quarter beef locally this year for this reason. And its the best beef I've ever ate. I have been trying to figure out how to get tri-tip and brisket locally as well.

They don't only inject it in the animal the feeds are full of it I brought some chicken feed the other day when I got it home it was medicated I usually try and stay away from that type of feed , in years to come it going to cause a lot of problems. But that the price we pay to have cheap meat and vegetables. Americans think if we can't see a problem it doesn't exist

I agree and have done research on this in the past having worked on a small cattle ranch for 12 years, The antibiotics are not what worries me in the least, they are helpful in preventing diseases and stuff, what bothers me is a lot of the huge cattle farmers are injecting hormones, that is what makes them grow faster and get to market sooner which means more profit for them, I don't agree with hormone use but the FDA allows its use. The above article says the antibiotics promote faster growth, not really true, they only make healthier animals that can grow better, the hormones are use for speeding up growth. What I am also seeing here is they are talking about antibiotics given to cattle is making the salmonella resistant but the antibiotic resistant salmonella in discussion here is in turkey and according to FDA the strains of salmonella are different types in poultry as to what is in beef, so how can the article compare the two types.

Actually, although the article shows the typical high standard of journalism we have come to accept in this country (and our is much better than some) it is the case that the antibiotics do play a role in cattle coming to market fatter. They need to give the antibiotics when the cattle are brought into the feed lots for the last 30 to 785 days for grain finishing. All cattle are pastured for at least one year, then they are brought into feed lots if they are to be grain finished. This is where disease can run rampant so cattle are given drugs to prevent infection. It is now a necessary part of the process of bringing meat to the market.

I don't think its the antibiotics that is the prob here. In third world countries (that have healthy animals not ethiopia or something) they don't dope up the animals, but what they do however is eat em FRESH.

ya know what salmonela does? IT KILLS THINGS.... If the animals here had salmonella...they would be obviously sick. It gets there AFTER SLAUGHTER. Which brings me back to the fresh thing again, this meat sits around for Lord knows how long, in the previous mentioned countries, normal practice is kill it in the morn for dinner. Salmonella hasn't the time to breed into something like it does in our meat factories here.

The usda is so worried makin sure people don't get sick...they don't even realize what's goin on... Chicken isn't safe to eat if its pink they say.....

Was watchin a Bourdain show he was in asia somewhere, and raved about the fact that he could eat chicken with out the hell being cooked out of it (pink still), because of how FRESH it .....

That is all

(P.S. grass fed sucks....{in AZ})

Posted from my fancy android fone!!

OK I'm an organic farmer. Mostly. However I work closely with the County Extension Office and have the certificate that allows me to buy the the stuff you can't buy over the counter. That said, the use of hormones and antibiotics is an important part of livestock production. It does not matter if you approve of it or not it's part of the deal. The answer is to get the meats that are organically grown. Bitchin about it is just pissin into the wind.

I ate Grade D beef - rejected by the US Air Force - while I was in the navy. Nothing like a hard rubber boot sole to eat with the rubber lobster on halfway night...haha.

So no, I survived that, I'm not worried about the beef I get now.

Jalon

Those were the days.....lol

Steel beach picnic for passing oppie or emat inspection and if we had been out long enough a beer day....

NO i am not worried, it is stupid to believe a company would do something to harm people knowingly. Why would they try to go out of business on purpose? They wouldn't! The American people are smart, we will not be harmed by on purpose and allow a company to get away with it without repercussions from our pockets.

Again, NO I am not worried about the use of medicines in my food, I am worried about radiation that the gov't is forcing on us. (i.e. irradiated meat, super powerful x-rays for getting on a plane, etc) The gov has no competition, the private sector does.

The antibiotics are not what worries me in the least, they are helpful in preventing diseases and stuff, what bothers me is a lot of the huge cattle farmers are injecting hormones, that is what makes them grow faster and get to market sooner which means more profit for them.

Exactly, and especially with Milk Cows.

Actually, although the article shows the typical high standard of journalism we have come to accept in this country (and our is much better than some) it is the case that the antibiotics do play a role in cattle coming to market fatter. They need to give the antibiotics when the cattle are brought into the feed lots for the last 30 to 785 days for grain finishing. All cattle are pastured for at least one year, then they are brought into feed lots if they are to be grain finished. This is where disease can run rampant so cattle are given drugs to prevent infection. It is now a necessary part of the process of bringing meat to the market.

I agree. It's hormones that are causing more problems. :crazy:

Back