are we using rubs the wrong way for pulled pork??

The one thing I add to my pork rub is dried, powdered Rosemary. The flavor holds up well during the cook, but I think it would be a bit strong post cook.

the thing with butts is you have to cook them too long, at which time any distinctive nuance of the rub has long since mellowed at best and at worst gotten into the carbonized state. with ribs and chicken i think you still have a chance at maintaining a rubs flavor quality. i personally think anything but salt, cracked pepper and worshtershire hurts a brisket, but thats just me. adding oil to the rub and vinegar makes a kind of finishing "dressing" that goes along way toward maintaining moisture and creating an onctious mouthfeel. it also liberates some flavors from the spices as some flavors are only oil soluble. as they say, fat is the magic carpet upon which flavor rides.

Yeah some good posts/thoughts here. I love the rubs i use but i have never sprinkled them post cook; sometimes i will use a finishing sauce of acv, red pepper flakes, tony c, black pepper and some brown sugar. toss that in.

I rub before, and then add more after the meat is pulled. It's a big chunk of meat and a little rub on the outside isn't going to be enough to flavor all that meat.

This is how I think of it too. There's no seasoning inside the meat unless you're injecting. Salt will bring out the flavor of the pork so adding more rub and seasoning to the "plain" meat after the pull is good. Most people just crack a can of sauce and dump it all over. Truly seasoning the meat is better. I like the idea of dissolving rub into the rendered jou and mixing it back in. :thumb:

anyone ever brine their pork first? would add flavor and help with moisture. Thinking of doing a shoulder this weekend but maybe try brining first.

I rub before, and then add more after the meat is pulled. It's a big chunk of meat and a little rub on the outside isn't going to be enough to flavor all that meat.

Yup. Been doing this myself for years now.

I think the rub adds to the bark formation, but the rub after is what really gives the pulled pork the best flavor for the final product.

I use a less sugary seasoning on the outside then add more after it's pulled. Depending on the crowd, I tend to add a little sweeter rub after it's pulled as well.

salt, pepper, and sugar. Maybe some really really spicy peppers. After that, it all tastes the same in the cooker. Rubs due help with color and texture though.

Back