Anything similar to Oakridge Black Ops Brisket Rub?

elm

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Eric
Saw that Oakridge is calling it quits and am wondering if y'all know of any rubs that are similar to their Black Ops Brisket Rub. Thanks in advance for any helpful leads!

Plowboys_BBQ_Bovine_Bold_Rub__22016.1448373298_1024x.jpg

It is probably worth mentioning that Plowboy's Bovine Bold and Yardbird both have disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate. I don't think Oakridge uses any flavor enhancers, so that is a pretty big difference.

You can read the web info on how those additives are typically used. They have their place, I'm not judging. I know Yardbird is well liked by many. I tried Yardbird for the first time recently. I noticed it right away when tasting the plain rub and using it on eggs and potatoes. It lingered on my palate for quite a while. It was not so noticeable - or maybe at all - on ribs. Need to do more controlled testing. This is my first experience with those enhancers in a rub.

It is probably worth mentioning that Plowboy's Bovine Bold and Yardbird both have disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate. I don't think Oakridge uses any flavor enhancers, so that is a pretty big difference.

You can read the web info on how those additives are typically used. They have their place, I'm not judging. I know Yardbird is well liked by many. I tried Yardbird for the first time recently. I noticed it right away when tasting the plain rub and using it on eggs and potatoes. It lingered on my palate for quite a while. It was not so noticeable - or maybe at all - on ribs. Need to do more controlled testing. This is my first experience with those enhancers in a rub.

This post made me laugh. If you guys only knew what goes on behind the comp scene. I'll sum it up in one pic....
20230103-193138.jpg

This post made me laugh. If you guys only knew what goes on behind the comp scene. I'll sum it up in one pic....
20230103-193138.jpg

^^
Yup, exactly.
This is why I don’t waste my time and money competing any more.

Which pig can be dressed up the best chemical laden make-up.

No thanks.

I retired from KCBS comps back in 2012 when this crap was all the rage.

Small regional rib burns are the only things I do anymore.

^^
Yup, exactly.
This is why I don’t waste my time and money competing any more.

Which pig can be dressed up the best chemical laden make-up.

No thanks.

I retired from KCBS comps back in 2012 when this crap was all the rage.

Small regional rib burns are the only things I do anymore.

Some of it triggers me because i know a lot of those YT'r cheat, and give newbs a false sense that they can achieve same results.

Saw that Oakridge is calling it quits and am wondering if y'all know of any rubs that are similar to their Black Ops Brisket Rub. Thanks in advance for any helpful leads!

To answer the OP's original question: Quite frankly, no. There is nothing else out there even remotely close to Black Ops... or, any of our rubs for that matter.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Back