Anyone sell wood before?

Dude in the BBQ world you have the equivalent to a gold mine IMO

I’d sit on it and maybe piece it out to my close family members in a few years :becky:

If the tree is big enough, and you have the equipment and time, A A is right, you have a gold mine!

But no, never sold any.

If you have a big and heavy duty chain saw with a chain sharpener plus a splitter AND the physical ability plus help that you WILL absolutely need to manhandle that gold mine - then cut it up and use it or sell it. Oh! and the time to do the job. Or, you could just sell the whole thing and let someone else drag it away. Your call. Don't underestimate the labor involved.

Another thing you could do is after you cut all the small stuff out of it for your personal use is call a saw mill, if it is right they will buy it from you.

Several way to go if you so choose.

I had a hickory fall in a storm, and my FIL asked me to keep the tree so he could have the wood. I obliged. He ended up taking like two pieces the size of a baseball bat, and the rest is still laying in the woods.

So I don't need to buy any hickory for the rest of my life.

Geez....best I'm finding in the New Orleans area is $400 half cord...$680 full.

Do you know anyone down in my area that would have more reasonable rates?

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

Probably not much help to you with a vague reference, but here goes my best attempt. In 2015 traveling south from Baton Rouge to Buras, LA to go to a friends fish camp. As we wound our way on the south side of New Orleans proper,to get to the main road to Buras heading south, there was a huge wood yard on the right hand side of the road. Sign had all different varieties of wood listed even mesquite. Piles of wood were 10-15 feet tall. I did not notice any that were in stacks. I asked another friend who lives in Marrero if he was familiar with the business and he said he was unaware of the place.

How is that for a vague reference? I don't think I could be more precise with the directions/locations if I had driven through there yesterday as I was following my buddy and not using a GPS. I do remember it was kind of an industrial area. Looking at a map it might have been in between Gretna and Belle Chasse along highway 23.

Thanks

Probably not much help to you with a vague reference, but here goes my best attempt. In 2015 traveling south from Baton Rouge to Buras, LA to go to a friends fish camp. As we wound our way on the south side of New Orleans proper,to get to the main road to Buras heading south, there was a huge wood yard on the right hand side of the road. Sign had all different varieties of wood listed even mesquite. Piles of wood were 10-15 feet tall. I did not notice any that were in stacks. I asked another friend who lives in Marrero if he was familiar with the business and he said he was unaware of the place.

How is that for a vague reference? I don't think I could be more precise with the directions/locations if I had driven through there yesterday as I was following my buddy and not using a GPS. I do remember it was kind of an industrial area. Looking at a map it might have been in between Gretna and Belle Chasse along highway 23.

Hey, I'll take ANY clues I can get!!!

I have a lot of friends that know this area like the back of their hands...I'll ask around!!

Thank you!!

C

A guy on one of them online forums said he won't smoke with wood older than 3 months because it's dead. So I guess the clock is ticking.

We need to see a picture. And maybe you oughta look for a dry branch and see how it smokes.

Charny, That guy must live in a low humidity area and splits his wood immediately after cutting it. No way where I reside would a whole (unsplit) log cut from a live tree and aged three months be fit to burn in an offset. Creosote city! Been there and done that and that dog won't hunt. You could possibly use one log at a time on a bed of pre-burned coals in an offset. But I could not cook using (only) three month old hickory in an offset. A fire made only three month old hickory logs might work on an open pit, but it won't work on an enclosed cooking environment such as an offset. In my neck of the woods, split hickory needs at least six months to cure.

Wood cures differently in all parts of the country. Factors that affect curing are average relative humidity, average ambient temperature, exposure to sunlight and how the wood is stacked. Another factor is whether the wood is split. When I get a load of wood I only split half of it so the other half does not cure as fast. It "keeps" longer that way.

Charny, That guy must live in a low humidity area and splits his wood immediately after cutting it.

It was a post we had here, a month or two ago, and I was really just joking about that because it seemed kind of crazy. I was hoping others would remember it. There were quite a few replies but I don't think the OP ever responded to them.

I think the question of how to age and season smoke wood is a very good one. As you say it very much depends on the local weather, when it is split, how it is split, and how you store it. And the type of wood also must matter.

Charny, If I remember correctly, that post may have been made by Sir Pork a Lot back when he was active on this forum. John did do a lot of open pit cooking and I was guessing at the time that was what he was referring to as to properly cured wood for his cooking purposes so I did not contradict his recommendations.

In my early offset cooking days and ten years before Al Gore invented the internet, this novice cooked two hogs that had been quartered. We used hickory that had cured less than four months in our newly built offset. The meat had a creosote taste so intense it tasted like we had basted everything in diesel. We had to cut the outer edges of the meat about one-half inch to where the meat was palatable. That was around 35 years ago, but some lessons learned from mistakes stick with you. As the old saying goes, "You learn more from your failures than you do your successes", and I have learned a lot over the years.........

BTW, I am still making mistakes and still learning!

Last edited:
Hey, I'll take ANY clues I can get!!!

I have a lot of friends that know this area like the back of their hands...I'll ask around!!

Thank you!!

C

Sure hope you find some at a much better price. Not much call for firewood in NOLA. For the price they charge locally, mighty consider going north a ways. Bunkie or maybe Ferriday. Not that far.

Last edited:
Back