Anyone Really Sharing Secrets? Part 2

You have to read everything :becky: Right below that is a check box that allows you to post if you check it.

Let me know via PM if you want me to merge the two threads.

Dang it. Well, I don't want to trouble you, and this thread seems to have grown enough legs. I'll pay more attention next time. I normally use tapatalk, but I guess I'll wait until those issues are worked out.

Brian

I would agree that the brisket will continue to cook at 190, but the IT doesn't really indicate how much additional cook time is necessary. For comps, I think this time is too variable, so I prefer to keep it in higher heat.

If I had a good way to hold it at 190 and wanted to use this technique, I would probably shift it to the hold area when the thin side of the flat probed tender, not by IT. To me, that would be a better indicator of the remaining time required.

Half the time, my Thermapen is a $90 probe. The temp readings do give you an idea of whether you need to go into panic mode.

For a better idea of what was happening, in my warmer box, once everyone of those briskets had reached or gotten over 195, they went into the warmer, where I held them at or above 180 for the next 4 hours. Total cook time was around 13 hours. These are foiled after 4-5 hours as well.

All of the cooking science I've read confirms that the collagen in beef begins to break down at 180F (as published by America's Test Kitchen). The time I "discovered" my process was just after I read this, in my 2nd competition. All I did was hit 180, and hold there for 4 hours. I won 1st in brisket at that amateur event with 20 teams. Had success both in the back yard and at my next several tourneys. Didn't win them, but was always happy with the turnout. Then I accidently let it creep to 200, and I got pulled brisket. That just further confirmed my "process". But those experiences can be thrown out the window.

I agree, that probe tender is absolutely the best test. But, it's a big adjustment when you're under the clock at a tourney. I suppose my next adjustment will be playing with holding. Cause once they probe tender, I can't imagine keeping them above 180 for extended periods would a good plan, as they MAY continue to cook. I'll probably put them in a 140F warmer, and see what happens.

HOWEVER - I still think that the high quality beef needs to be monitored carefully. As briskets move through the stall (which if foiled happens much faster than with butcher paper or no wrap) they increase temp at an accelerated rate. My experience with high quality has not been as inconsistent. So I'd be careful to let something like a wagyu (never can remember where to place the 'y') get much over 190 without probing it a couple times.

Appreciate everyones thoughts! This has been a fun thread.

I too cook to color and feel as opposed to time and temp. I use my thermapen religiously as a probe for the brisket. As I am probing I also take a peek at the temp to use as a ballpark. The temps vary from brisket to brisket but more so in Wagyu than a choice CAB and also if cooking HNF or LNS. (HNF temps tend to finish higher than LNS and Wagyu temps tend to finish lower than CAB) We cook Painted Hills or IBP choice packers in the 12-14 lb range and have done very well with them. :razz:

Now...to answer the topic question...

Yes we share our cooking techniques and the fact that we use Simply Marvelous, Big Poppa Smokers, and Kosmo's Q products in our flavor profiles...:cool:

I too cook to color and feel as opposed to time and temp. I use my thermapen religiously as a probe for the brisket. As I am probing I also take a peek at the temp to use as a ballpark. The temps vary from brisket to brisket but more so in Wagyu than a choice CAB and also if cooking HNF or LNS. (HNF temps tend to finish higher than LNS and Wagyu temps tend to finish lower than CAB) We cook Painted Hills or IBP choice packers in the 12-14 lb range and have done very well with them. :razz:

JD, do you mind sharing how you hold them to meet the turn in time?

With the exception of Wagyu beef, I have found that grading of brisket is truly hit and miss. I do try to buy Choice if the price is close. But, my best bet is always to look at the meat before I buy, to make sure it looks right. Good marbling, soft meat, clean white fat, thick flat (of for comps) and a full point.

My understanding is that cuts aren't graded, the cow is. And the brisket isn't really considered in the grading process.

Pretty sure I learned that on this website.

My understanding is that cuts aren't graded, the cow is. And the brisket isn't really considered in the grading process.

True. Choice is also a pretty big range. If you get "Superior" grade at RD, it's USDA Choice, but thing only take the Superior from the top two thirds of the Choice range.

Yes, the carcass is graded at a certain part of the rib primal (I can't remember which rib joint just now) which is why I believe when you buy a brisket, you cannot rely on the grade alone, or at all really. In truth, the grading is visual, and up to the trained eye of the grader. So even that is subjective.

Mostly I cook for friends, occasionally for pay, rarely for comps. But, I believe that a Select grade packer can do well at all of those levels of cooking. My best finish in brisket was a 3rd in KCBS, that was a Select and my best brisket this past year for pay was also a Select, and that thing was spectacular.

All we ever do. Throw he brisket on @6, it's wrapped by 10 and done by 12 resting till 4. If my cooker is between 300-350 when I throw it on I'm happy. Usually get the color I'm lookin for in 3 hrs and it just so happens its usually @170-180 which I think is the perfect wrap temp to not get pot roast. Cook to to buttah feel, usually for me its between 205-210. Can't tell ya any more than that or gotta choot ya! :biggrin1: to answer the thread question, no probably not, but there are alot of us that will help get ya close

@landarc
Some of the best tasting briskets I have cooked were select or ungraded that I dug through and picked. It's crazy once you get that sucker cooked and sliced and its all jiggly and tender and juicy, I say to myself "where the heck were you at 2 weeks ago at the cookoff!!!"

Back