Anyone have any parchment bag recipes?

BuffettFan

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Terry
A bit long winded, but yes, there is a question at the end. :blah:

Years ago, Mrs. Fan and I were in Jamaica. We had made friends with the bus driver who had shuttled us to the resort from the airport and on a couple of day trips.

On one of the longer trips, From Montego Bay to Ocho Rios and back, we sat up front with him, talking the whole way.
We had mentioned that we were growing tired of the food at the all-inclusive resort and wondered if there was a place we could get some authentic Jamaican food other than Jerk, which I could have lived on, but Mrs. Fan is not a fan of.

He told us to be in front of the resort at a certain time and he would pick us up.
We were a bit apprehensive, but we agreed.
He picked us up at the appointed time and took us into a part of downtown Montego Bay where he advised us not to go to alone. He pulled up to a gate, spoke to people behind the gate in Jamaican-speak, the gate opened and we drove around to the back of an old Great House.
He told us to stay in the van until he opened the door for us.
He did, ushered us down some stairs, through a dark walkway and into the basement of the house. We were a bit nervous.
Once inside, we could see that it was indeed a dining room, dark, low ceiling and very rustic.
He told us that we would have a very good meal, regardless of what we ordered.
We invited him to join us, our treat. He declined and said he would wait in the van and for us to let the staff know when we were ready to go and they would come get him and we would reverse the process to leave the restaurant.

We both ordered a seafood dish which was cooked and served in a parchment bag. I don't remember all of the ingredients, but several types of seafood and vegetables along with a creamy cheese-like sauce was the general theme.
It was fantastic! My wife, who eats like a spoiled 6 year old, even ate all of the veggies!

Obviously, Gifford, our driver, got us back to the resort safely and got a generous tip for saving us from the so-so fare at the resort.
When we got home, I bought some parchment bags to re-create the dish.
We found the bags this past weekend, 20 some years later, while making the best of sheltering at home on a 28*, snowy day.
We both immediately remembered the experience and want to attempt to recreate the meal.

So, does anyone have any good recipes for a seafood feast with a good, creamy, almost cheese-like sauce cooked in a parchment bag?

Maybe you can adapt these paper bag recipes, I put the recommended oven temps at the top of page 2. Sometimes my Grandmother would sprinkle the bag with water, or rub some butter on the inside.

EDIT: For example, 1 pound of fish calls for 18 minutes of cook time, so the first 8 minutes the oven is 200° to 215°, then the oven temp is lowered to 170° for 10 more minutes.

I5QIgDt.jpg

eVYkorM.jpg

Thanks Mike. It was a highlight of the trip.
That and watching the Super Bowl at a bar. On the beach!

Thanks thirdeye, very helpful!
I'm doing some recipe google-foo and the time and temp table you shared will be very helpful!

Thanks Mike. It was a highlight of the trip.
That and watching the Super Bowl at a bar. On the beach!

Thanks thirdeye, very helpful!
I'm doing some recipe google-foo and the time and temp table you shared will be very helpful!

Let us know what you come up with. I think the materials in paper bags is different than it was a century ago, but I could envision both parchment paper or the peach butcher paper as working.

Will do.
Found a bunch of recipes, but none that sound exactly like what we remember having.

Of course, there was rum involved...

Sounds like a place I went to with my wife 30+ years ago. It was a kind of a mansion set off the beaten path...dining was in a series of small rooms. I distinctly remember their special dish was red snapper served in a paper bag....sorry cant remember anything about the dish. At the time it was a high rated place for the adventure seekers.

If you google red snapper in a bag...a bunch of stuff comes up...you could look at the recipes and You might find one close. If so...please share it here.

Could be the same place Barry.
I do remember there were a few rooms, all small with 2 or 3 tables.
We were only in the basement, entered from the back. No idea what was in the rest of the house.
I'm reluctant to google Red Snapper in a bag at work, hard telling what may pop up! :biggrin1:
I'll do so this afternoon at home, however.

Meeting Gifford was a highlight of the trip. He took us on a private tour of the mountain area above Montego Bay, to several small plantations, coffee, plantain, nutmeg and sugarcane, through some small villages and showed us the real Jamaica, away from the tourist areas.
Very enlightening and made us very grateful for what we have.

Mrs. Fan and I were discussing the experience this afternoon.
She doesn't remember the creamy sauce like I do, or some of the details, only that it was a great meal and experience.
She remembers the trip into the mountains, almost word for word, like I do.
We're looking forward to trying recipes until we find one we agree is what we had back then.

When the cruise ship tells you to not use the drivers climbing the 10 foot fence only the ones allowed inside the fence, pay attention. One couple got in the wrong cab going back to the ship got beaten up and robbed.
Happy vacation!
Ed

Try googling “En papillote” recipes. This is French inspired cooking in parchment bags. You will find lots of seafood recipes.

Keep in mind that modern parchment paper is often coated with silicone and is not the same as parchment paper of decades past. Historically it was produced with sulphuric acid to create a wood pulp based polymer. Not necessarily the case nowadays. Unfortunately butcher's paper is often waxed, so it's not a good substitute. You'll want to find a silicone free parchment paper (not Reynolds brand) if you're using old recipes.

Is Phrasty still around? He'd probably know. Maybe he's like BeetleJuice...

Phrasty... Phrasty... Phrasty...

Back