Anyone else do this?

Yes I actually do always try to look in back for the pit, that's why I don't eat Que at many places around here. As much great food as Louisiana has, it doesn't have a very strong BBQ tradition, so decent Q at a restaurant is hard to find.

I try to look every time. I'm wondering what they use to cook in and what wood they use. I've just "got to know" these things lol. It doesn't impact if I eat there or not usually but it could give me ideas on how to do things better :)

-Cyber

First, I will never stop at a bbq joint if I do not see a pile of wood around, if so I will stop and take a look and if I see that they use it I will try the place out.

There's a BBQ place in Edmond, Oklahoma, that has a whole bunch of wood stacked up by the back of the building, indicating they cook with it. Traffic in the U-shaped parking lot pretty much has to go past all that pile. Not one single piece...ever....changes...ever.

We've found some really good, and a few really bad, places like that. We love to get off the Interstate, stop and smell the Que.

Oh yeah! I always check out the cooker and look for wood. Same with Pizza joints as well! Looks like you found a good'en.

Sister, I'm such a snob that I peek at the griddle at McDonalds. Just kidding. However I really do enjoy taking a peek at the smokers in use when I go to Q joints. You are not alone sister.

Here in North Alabama it seems real wood cookers are getting more rare. Many of the BBQ places are buying their meat already cooked and VAC packed. Then they just heat it in hot water, and serve. There is a really popular place here in town that everyone just loves and that is all they do. I call it heat and eat BBQ. Maybe it is a sign of the new generation, instant gratification. Who has time to sit around a cook anymore? Sad times.

Thanks Jeanie for snapping a few pics and sharing with the Brethren.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. :grin:

Me too :mrgreen: Not necessarily Q but I always stop by and go into places that other people usually skip. :biggrin1: Some of the best experiences and food IMHO. Down to the Indian reservations when I was traveling up north to Utah and passing through Nevada, Arizona.

I bet you have found some amazing places Sako! :grin:
Sometimes the experience is worth the stop. :mrgreen:

Yes, sure do.

Cowgirl- the wood pile. Hickory? Oak? Mesquite? Pecan?
Didn't check through the pile but there was a stack of well seasoned hedge that caught my eye. It's one of my favorites. :grin:

Yup, twice. Led to some interesting discussions both times though.

-D
lol Dave, I hope those were friendly discussions. :becky:
When I hit an out of the way joint, I don't poke around more than I think I can get away with. So far, everyone has been kind and eager to talk "smoke'" with me. :grin:

Open invite Jeanie! You could show up drunk on the doorstep at 3am and within the hour we'd have many SoCal Brethren over and a Bash going on! Well maybe 2 hours depending on traffic...

That looks like a cool spot. I love eating BBQ, but I also love going to those shack-type places. Not a lot of that around here, but when I'm traveling in the USA I definitely seek those out.
lol Don't tempt me Greg! I'm not sure if your family would appreciate a 3am visitor on the front porch though. :becky:
These smoke shacks are fairly common around here. Mainly in the rural areas. There are some pretty scary looking places that I won't go in alone. :shocked: lol

I do! I wonder if they know they served a living BBQ legend when you walked in!
Shoot Chris, I'm just another smoke addict like the rest of the Brethren.
It was fun talking with the folks putting out the food at this place. They seemed to enjoy what they were doing too. Thanks Chris! :hug::-D

Yes I actually do always try to look in back for the pit, that's why I don't eat Que at many places around here. As much great food as Louisiana has, it doesn't have a very strong BBQ tradition, so decent Q at a restaurant is hard to find.
I'd skip the Q joints for good Louisiana cooking almost any day of the week! lol Bet you find some amazing restaurants down there!

There's a BBQ place in Edmond, Oklahoma, that has a whole bunch of wood stacked up by the back of the building, indicating they cook with it. Traffic in the U-shaped parking lot pretty much has to go past all that pile. Not one single piece...ever....changes...ever.
Dang... I need to know where that one is located. I go through Edmond fairly often.
Thanks for the heads up! :grin:

Sister, I'm such a snob that I peek at the griddle at McDonalds. Just kidding. However I really do enjoy taking a peek at the smokers in use when I go to Q joints. You are not alone sister.

lol Me too!! Some places should not be open for business. I've peeked into some pretty scary kitchens! :shocked: :grin:

Here in North Alabama it seems real wood cookers are getting more rare. Many of the BBQ places are buying their meat already cooked and VAC packed. Then they just heat it in hot water, and serve. There is a really popular place here in town that everyone just loves and that is all they do. I call it heat and eat BBQ. Maybe it is a sign of the new generation, instant gratification. Who has time to sit around a cook anymore? Sad times.

Interesting! I think you're right about the instant gratification generation. They will never know what they are missing out on. Some things just can't be rushed. :grin:

Truth right there.

I just like to see what people are cooking with.

Me too!! It's interesting to see the variety of home built cookers out there. Doesn't need to be fancy, just functional. Thanks! :grin:

Thanks again everybody. It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one. :grin:

Open invite Jeanie! You could show up drunk on the doorstep at 3am and within the hour we'd have many SoCal Brethren over and a Bash going on! Well maybe 2 hours depending on traffic...

That looks like a cool spot. I love eating BBQ, but I also love going to those shack-type places. Not a lot of that around here, but when I'm traveling in the USA I definitely seek those out.
That would be one way to "class" up the joint. While you have her vulnerable, you could get some cooking tips!

That would be one way to "class" up the joint. While you have her vulnerable, you could get some cooking tips!

:laugh: You have that backwards, I'd be the one asking Greg for cooking tips!

Back