Anybody use only briquettes in their UDS?

Here in NW Arkansas most grocery stores are Best Choice stores, and Best Choice brand briquettes are RO as far as I've been able to find out... They are RO's patented Ridge briquettes and I use this charcoal almost exclusively in my Akorns and upright insulated smoker... At $3.99 a 21.6 pound bag when its on sale its a no-brainer. I use a little Ozark Oak lump (it was made just 20 minutes from here) but still prefer the Best Choice/Royal Oak briquettes.

For my UDS I like using Stubbs. Usually all I ever cook with.
The egg usually royal oak.

Yeah I'm worried about the KBB smell also if used minion method. But when it goes on sale it's hard to pass up. Maybe use KBB for grilling and something better in the UDS?

KBB I mostly use for fast cook - Burgers,hotdogs & steaks

On my kamados I use Rockwood lump. Use to use Ozark Oak as well until they discontinued it. On my PBC I use Stubbs and/or Kingsford briquettes exclusively. I save the higher priced lump for use in my kamados. I have in a pinch used briquettes in my kamados as well. Just makes a ton of ash.

Stop buying that RO house reclamation charcoal! Not everyone can get the HEB stuff I use But B&B is just as good and No Concrete, rocks, insulation or much shake in the bags.

Back