Another "First Brisket" Thread

GLOCKer

Knows what a fatty is.
I wanted to do a packer brisket for Independence Day, but all I could find were flats. :( I think I trimmed this one slightly wrong as it may have had a piece of the point still on it that I should have carved off. Anyways, my question has to do with the texture of the meat once it is done.

First off, the brisket seemed to stall at 160 degrees, and I was trying to get to 165 before I wrapped it because the bark hadn't fully developed at 160. It took forever to get it to 165, and I had to increase the dome temp up into the low 300's to get the meat to 165. I probed at 195 and it was still tight. Then I tried again at 205; still tight. So I let it go a little longer and missed 210 and ended up probing it again at 215. I tried to cook it to probe tender, but the internal temp was 215 and I didn't want to push it further and ruin it, so I pulled it off. When I cut it, the inside was still juicy and flavorful though! The outside of the brisket was a little crumbly, but the inside was a little tighter.

Here are some pics of the smoke. I think you can see the remnants of the point on top of the flat that I probably should have trimmed off before rubbing. Please tell me what you think about the photos of the texture. If it doesn't look ideal, can you post up pics of what it ideally should look like?

Here it is just on the smoker, rubbed in salt, pepper, chili powder, ground red pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and sugar and injected with a beef injection with added garlic and onion powder.
13620056_10157307704010107_1283625032006386753_n.jpg

So this is what makes me think I had remnants of the point on it still. I'm thinking that puddle of juice is probably fat that has run out from there.
13557854_10157308367080107_3763256115970535205_n.jpg
\

Here is the finished product. I was very happy with the color and texture of the bark on the outside. It had a very good flavor too!
13532815_10157308598130107_7954893553187224068_n.jpg

And here it is plated. My wife made mashed potatoes with some left over beef injection, and I topped my potatoes with au ju from the brisket. Not pictured is the tomato and cucumber salad that my wife made with produce from our small garden!
13606809_10157309316370107_1810832830991188425_n.jpg

And here is a close up of the brisket. While it tasted great and was tender, I am wondering if it was supposed to be more tender. I was expecting a texture almost like (but not exactly as loose as) smoked pork shoulder. Being this is my first brisket, I don't know if it should have been looser or as tight. I guess I was expecting just a little bit more of a crumblier texture and for the probe to slide in a little easier.
13439083_10157309317700107_6357258730093392911_n.jpg

And the leftovers? Vacuum sealed into portions for future meals, including brisket chili!
13612337_10157309438785107_7671971436788895958_n.jpg

Thanks for looking guys! I'm interested to read your thoughts on this.

A properly cooked brisket will have seperation of meat fibers and nicely rendered fat.

Be sure to have a sharp knife. If the outer edge is shredding a dull knife is likley the cause.

Remember that brisket takes time....its not a race to see if it can get done in six hours.

If i could give advice other than to be patient it would be to ditch the meat thermo. Too many expectations for someone inexperienced. Dont wrap or pull based on temp but on your indicators.

Probe tender is the way to go, I agree with smoke ninja.

That said, I do seriously wonder if your thermometer is off. I would expect the brisket to be overdone if it really got to 215 internal. Not a sure thing, but I'd calibrate that thermometer.

Looks ntasty enough from here, what was the mouth feel like to you.

FYI, in our area you can find packer briskets at Sams (usually), Restaurant Depot, Walmart (sometimes), and butcher shops like Patton's.

Thanks guys! So I figured that I hit the stall, and I got a little froggy and bumped the pit temp up trying to get it through the stall while I should have just gone inside and opened another cold beer. If I had done that, it would have gone longer and slower and probably allowed the fibers of the meat to break down a little more. It tasted good and wasn't tough though! So I'll consider this smoke a win in that the meat was good and I learned a lot (I think!). And well, my wife was happy!

It looks good from here. Flats by themselves are just harder to hit that window. It looks moist from here and if it wasn't chewy I'd say you did fine!

GLOCKer...... Do you work for Glock?

I worked there for 9 years back in the 90's (1990-1999)

Just curious if I know you.

Looks good! Does look a little under cooked but as others stated luckily it wasn't chewy. I tried cooking one flat before and will never do it again. Packers only. Mashed potatoes look great! Just be careful if that was a purchased beef injection as the sodium levels on some of them are through the roof, just want to be nice to the insides so we can keep eating brisket

GLOCKer...... Do you work for Glock?

I worked there for 9 years back in the 90's (1990-1999)

Just curious if I know you.

Nope, I don't work for GLOCK. But I live close by to the HQ in Smyrna, carry one every day for work (LEO), and I'm a full time LEO instructor; including firearms. I love my LOCK pistols!

Looks good! Does look a little under cooked but as others stated luckily it wasn't chewy. I tried cooking one flat before and will never do it again. Packers only. Mashed potatoes look great! Just be careful if that was a purchased beef injection as the sodium levels on some of them are through the roof, just want to be nice to the insides so we can keep eating brisket

I agree it was probably undercooked. I bet if I had let it sit through the stall and in the smoker for longer, it would have been perfect.

As for the injection; not store bought! But I'm going to fiddle with the recipe a little to get the sodium lower. The injection was 16 beef bouillon cubes, garlic powder, onion powder, and 1 qt of water brought to a boil and then cooled.

I'm thinking about using less beef bouillon cubes and using low sodium beef broth instead of water next time.

Nope, I don't work for GLOCK. But I live close by to the HQ in Smyrna, carry one every day for work (LEO), and I'm a full time LEO instructor; including firearms. I love my LOCK pistols!

How bout that.. I'm an LEO and an Instructor / firearms instructor as well.
27 years of shooting and teaching with Glocks!!

We might know each other. I too live / work nearby.

Back