Another Brethren Inspired Purchase

txsmkmstr

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
A while back there was a rotisserie thread where our own "tom b" posted a link to www.onegrill.com. After poking around there for a week or so I pulled the trigger on a basic (if you call 1/2" hex rod - 45" long - all stainless basic) rotisserie set-up. All I needed to do was fabricate a mount that would adapt to my Weber kettle and/or fire pit.

I finally came up with some version that would keep the motor away from the heat and fit both "pits" even though they weren't the same diameter. After a trial or two small tweaks were made to make things easier for set-up.

Behold the fire pit arrangement... an old 60 gallon Ingersoll-Rand air compressor with custom grate and lid (not shown) along with my new rotisserie.

firepitsetup.jpg

Just in case I didn't want to stoop over I made sure the Weber would accept this mount too. Early experiments used charcoal base with wood and just plain wood. I also added some stripping to the posts for quicker leveling.

webersetup.jpg

The results???? FANTASTIC!!!! There's a huge difference using straight wood for smoke flavor. Watching that meat self-baste is mesmerizing. Naturally a whole chicken is called for.

wholechick.jpg

I went ahead and got a basket as well - perfect for smaller cuts such as chicken thighs...... Notice both methods (basket or tines) take advantage of an oven thermometer, which keeps me up to speed on temps.

chickthigh.jpg

If you're craving a little action shot check out this link to chicken wings.

Rotisserie Video

Thanks all for looking.

Big thanks to ModelMaker for posting the "how to" on picture attachments.

Smoke On!!!!!!!!!

Very nice. Did you fab the frame and stand? How does the rod lower or raise?Not to step on your post, but I bought the same rod and motor system from them and concocted this rotisserie (intended for a piglet) from hurrican panels. The only way I could think of extending or reducing the distance between meat and coals is to make two stations for the coal bed. However, this does not make for reasonable adjustments during the cook. That's a #20+ turkey for a tryout.

Last edited:
Very nice. Did you fab the frame and stand? How does the rod lower or raise?Not to step on your post, but I bought the same rod and motor system from them and concocted this rotisserie (intended for a piglet) from hurrican panels. The only way I could think of extending or reducing the distance between meat and coals is to make two stations for the coal bed. However, this does not make for reasonable adjustments during the cook. That's a #20+ turkey for a tryout.

Yes, I fabbed everything except the motor, spit and supplied motor brackets. The 5/8" all-thread rod is overkill but it nested in 3/4" square tube perfectly. The supplied mounts were bolted to a custom bracket having the square tube. I welded a nut on the square tube and use a 1/4-20 bolt with a point ground on the end. This engages the thread even if you don't get things really tight - but i use a wrench to avoid any silly mishaps.

My original plan was to by the version with stakes but they were sold out. I can always substitute 1/2" EMT for stakes if I was camping remotely or didn't have anyway to attach my T-bracket with the 5/8" nut attached.

Loving the looks of the turkey. Hoping to have this figured out by Thanksgiving... :clap2:

Congrats again on a nice job. I always wanted to learn how to weld. I even got book smart on it and bought the equipment but never got around to do it. Hate to admit it but I was somewhat intimidated with the gas etc. Too late now.

Back