Wireless Thermometer

Twangzer Mike

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Mike
What might be a good wireless thermometer for use on a Weber rotisserie or smoker that will still connect when the lid/door is closed. Don't mind if it doesn't have a great range when closed but would like it to stay connected and not drop off..... or will reconnect when I get close or open the lid.

Thermometers

I have the new MEATER plus 2. I like it enough that I purchased 3 more for my 3 children. The probe is 30% thinner than previous, it is solid stainless steel, it is dishwasher safe, and the ambient temp potion can be used at temp of 932 F.
Also it runs up to years on one AAA battery..

I have the Combustion Inc. probes which I like quite a bit. They are pricey but still thinner than the others and have 8 sensors. I don't know how much that matters over five sensors. I have only had them long enough to do three cooks and have been testing them next to Thermoworks Smoke X wired units and they match very closely. The only thing I don't care for is that when the ambient portion of the probes are inserted, they are in the cooling zone of the evaporating moisture and are pretty much useless for knowing where your pit is running. I would guess the others will have that too. Just a heads up. I hope you find what you need and it works well for you.

I like the MEATER Block.

What might be a good wireless thermometer for use on a Weber rotisserie or smoker that will still connect when the lid/door is closed. Don't mind if it doesn't have a great range when closed but would like it to stay connected and not drop off..... or will reconnect when I get close or open the lid.

I love the MEATER Block I got...and I believe they have a version 2 that just came out, so I'd get that if I were looking.

But it has 4x probes.

The probes talk to the block via bluetooth...and the block connects to your wifi and, if you want, to their cloud servers.

I can monitor the 4 probes in different meats with different cooks, etc.

I've used it in my Big Green Egg on a rotisserie....and in my very thick metal walled offset smoker.

It's kinda fun to be able to pull up the various problems on my phone, my iPad and even my watch.

Hmm....I just looked and I don't see a V2 of the block...just of the single probe.

I prefer the block since with bluetooth AND wifi....the range seems to be really great.

Anyway, the main site is here:

https://store-us.meater.com/products/meater-block

I bought mine during sale on Amazon Prime day...so, look around for prices.

HTH,

cayenne

Thank you .. comparison Meater plus 2 and Typhur https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39ayrL4GjwQ

Amazon was running 30 off the Typhur - going to give it a try and see what I think - I have the original MEATER Block - which I have never been happy with due to connectivity issues - sounds like they have improved significantly since I first bought mine

But l like the stand alone unit that has wi-fi built in - look forward to seeing if I can get a signal thru my offset smoker - if not it will get returned which is another reason I went thru Amazon

All great suggestions. I like the Wi-Fi connectivity. Don't mind the block being close to the cooker as long as I can Wi-Fi it. Tough choice. If not discounted .... all similarly priced it seems. but some have more probes... another nice feature

???

Amazon was running 30 off the Typhur - going to give it a try and see what I think - I have the original MEATER Block - which I have never been happy with due to connectivity issues - sounds like they have improved significantly since I first bought mine

But l like the stand alone unit that has wi-fi built in - look forward to seeing if I can get a signal thru my offset smoker - if not it will get returned which is another reason I went thru Amazon

Have they changed things?

When I was researching for wireless probes....with MEATER I didn't think they had wifi on the single systems.

I thought wifi was ONLY on the Block with 4 probes?

I will admit, I almost threw mine out the door when I first got it....I was on with support as that the wireless would only occasionally connect to my wifi system.

I then had support escalate me to next tier of support.
At that point they asked what router I had...and in an hour had sent me router specific instructions, I had to change a few things it had defaulted to...and voila...works like a charm.

Have you done the MEATER Block updates? If not that might help you...?

And...I might suggest you contact them like I did, ask for escalated support and tell them the exact make and model of your wireless router, you might get a fix like I did....

HTH,

cayenne

I have a MEATER plus and a MEATER 2 plus that I use for my rotis. Works excellent for this. I use an old iPhone by the MEATER Plus as a WIFI link to the house. The new MEATER 2 Plus reaches the house on its own.

I put both in the breast of this bird. In the future I plan to have one in the breast and one deep in the thigh by the hip joint.

IMG-5363.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all your experiences and recommendations. Now to compare and make a decision .... but I might look for a sale ...

Back