Andouille Sausage

Pretty happy with the outcome. Excellent texture and taste, but seemed to lack a bit of something I can't quite put my finger on. Good sausage, but it wasn't quite the andouille flavor I was looking for. Excellent starting point on this journey though.

Open to suggestions if anyone has some ideas to share.

I think it's missing black pepper. Every recipe I've tried seemed heavy on black pepper. Once I made it and thought it was a bit too much. But in my opinion it is very necessary to andouille flavor.

Also, my understanding is that milk powder is to retain moisture. Andouille is fairly dry. Is MP necessary?

Regards,

David

Milk powder is also a binder. I've made it with and without. Not really a huge difference but the meat definitely seems to be more cohesive with it (not sure what word to describe it). I wouldn't run out and buy it if I had none on hand.

I hear ya that it wasn't all the way what yer looking for - but I bet it was still damn good. I've made andouille a couple times, and while I liked it, it wasn't like what I've bought from a good butcher. There's a German sausage shop near my spot and theirs is fantastic.

I like the texture you got going, with the coarse and fine - looks great. Bookmarking this thread - great info here!

Dude, that looks great! Love the slice shot.

Is this the nola cuisine recipe? I ask because I've made that recipe a bunch of times and it looks very similar...

if it is.. the changes I've made - Upped the black pepper and cayenne. It doesn't have nearly the bite it should. I have also used a lot more fresh garlic than the recipe calls for.. Probably close to double.. I found the salt level to be fine as it was, I disagree with sleebus saying it is too salty. I usually don't use the milk, but only because I forget. Honestly I have never noticed a difference. As long as you have a good bind, enough fat, and don't over cook it, its always juicy. I usually make this with a combo of coarse ground and chunked meat, but even if you just use coarse ground alone, end product is the same, just doesn't look as pretty.

I hear ya that it wasn't all the way what yer looking for - but I bet it was still damn good.

Exactly. It was something I will gladly eat, but not quite what I had in mind.

Dude, that looks great! Love the slice shot.

Is this the nola cuisine recipe? I ask because I've made that recipe a bunch of times and it looks very similar...

if it is.. the changes I've made - Upped the black pepper and cayenne. It doesn't have nearly the bite it should. I have also used a lot more fresh garlic than the recipe calls for.. Probably close to double.. I found the salt level to be fine as it was, I disagree with sleebus saying it is too salty. I usually don't use the milk, but only because I forget. Honestly I have never noticed a difference. As long as you have a good bind, enough fat, and don't over cook it, its always juicy. I usually make this with a combo of coarse ground and chunked meat, but even if you just use coarse ground alone, end product is the same, just doesn't look as pretty.

It is the Nola. Thanks for the thoughts on the black and cayenne.

It wasn't too salty.......atleast for my tastes.

You're heading down the right path.

The best Cajun andouilles (not to be confused with French andouille - totally different thing) come from Louisiana's "German Coast" - near La Place and Des Allemands (lit: "The Germans", but also known as "The Catfish Capital of the Universe").

There are three places that sell what I consider real andouille: Jacob's, Bailey's, and Wayne Jacob's smokehouses.

I see tons of different sausages called andouille, and, in my opinion, each is entitled to their own interpretation of what it is. However, here are the things that say "andouille" to me:

- Pork, 3/4" plate course grind - not too fatty.
- salt, black pepper, red pepper, garlic, and maybe thyme. That's it- no cumin, oregano, brown sugar, etc.
- 1 1/2" - 2" casings
- Heavily smoked over pecan and sugar cane (if available)

In La Place, andouille is sold in "sticks" that generally weigh ~2lbs.

The smoke and pepper should be fairly assertive.

I have tried making it myself with limited success. Here is my most recent attempt:

picture.php

Suggestions:

I would try a larger casing and a slower smoke. I don't know what CRP is? Can you tell me?

Also, my understanding is that milk powder is to retain moisture. Andouille is fairly dry. Is MP necessary?

Regards,

David

Just ordered from Wayne Jacob's, thanks for the lead!

I like the French andouille since I encountered it in 1983 - I have to learn to make it some day.

Back