Lockhart Sausage

When I cold smoked in my offset - they did take a bit longer - but I was running temps between 120-130 - so I bumped the heat up to 180 to bring them to 150

On this cook - I used my direct heat cooker (with a baffle plate directly above the heat source) - and my temps were getting up to 160 - when I checked them at 3.5 hours they were at 152 - plenty of smoke for me

Will try my offset next time - but will try to run the temps closer to 150

… It made me debate getting an electric smoker to hang them in just for this process if I decide to do it again
Photo of mine (on the bottom) …

You could try running them on your offset until you have the color and smoke you want and finish in the oven. Btw, yours look much better than the commercial ones.

I emailed https://nwbutcher.supply/ for some clarification and their "Ken's Bull Binder" is a mix of corn, wheat, oat, rye and rice flour which is the same as Mitchlitch. The shipping was a ton better. I got 2 pounds shipped to north Texas for 17.95, in case anyone was interested. Mitchlitch was 30 bucks for a pound and a half and I just couldn't justify it. I'm really excited to try this. I don't know what they do at Kreuz and Smitty's but my thinking is they probably just hot smoke them, which I've done for my version of Texas Hot Guts. It's not standard sausage operating procedure, exactly and most Texas joints warm smoke them at 150 to 180 and then cook them again to serve.

I emailed https://nwbutcher.supply/ for some clarification and their "Ken's Bull Binder" is a mix of corn, wheat, oat, rye and rice flour which is the same as Mitchlitch. The shipping was a ton better. I got 2 pounds shipped to north Texas for 17.95, in case anyone was interested. Mitchlitch was 30 bucks for a pound and a half and I just couldn't justify it. I'm really excited to try this.

Thanks - will look at them the next time I have to order Bull Flour Binder - let us know how you like it - thought it did a good gob on the one batch I have made with it so far

I rolled the dice a bit ordering what I did. I watched the Chud's BBQ video where Cole Parkman made the Kreuz style sausage and he had the Mitchlich stuff. The only other option is to by 50 pounds from a restaurant supplier!

Link please

Thanks for the feedback on the two methods. I found a stainless meat hanging hook(s hook) that would let you remove the bottom racks and hang from the top rack as an option if you decide to use the offset again.
Btw, sausage looks great. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Can you post a link for this hanger system?

I'd be very interested and I have the same smoker as he does...

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

Thanks for the feedback on the two methods. I found a stainless meat hanging hook(s hook) that would let you remove the bottom racks and hang from the top rack as an option if you decide to use the offset again.
Btw, sausage looks great. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Definitely plan on doing on both the offset and the direct heat cooker

I have some solid rods that fit in the brackets for the top shelf that I can use to hang sausages on - like you said, remove the top and bottom shelves and use my rods on the top brackets

The name is from "Bull Meat Brand Flour" which was made by the B. Heller &Co. way back in the 1920s I believe? Anyway, there's some old sausage recipes that call for ingredients they made that no longer exist like "Freeze em Pickle" which is a proprietary curing mix they sold.

I emailed https://nwbutcher.supply/ for some clarification and their "Ken's Bull Binder" is a mix of corn, wheat, oat, rye and rice flour which is the same as Mitchlitch. The shipping was a ton better. I got 2 pounds shipped to north Texas for 17.95, in case anyone was interested. Mitchlitch was 30 bucks for a pound and a half and I just couldn't justify it. I'm really excited to try this. I don't know what they do at Kreuz and Smitty's but my thinking is they probably just hot smoke them, which I've done for my version of Texas Hot Guts. It's not standard sausage operating procedure, exactly and most Texas joints warm smoke them at 150 to 180 and then cook them again to serve.

Since I bit the bullet and already incurred the shipping cost - I also ordered some of Mitchlitch German Sausage Seasoning - will let you know how that is - enough to season 50 pounds of meat!

Back