Alternative to wire brush for grill cleaning

Thanks Tish, just ordered myself a couple of those.:thumb: I'm gonna try fabricating a handle to see if I can use it like a wire brush for my CI grill grates.
Just grab it with a large pair of pliers. I always have a pair near my grill for grabbing hot things anyway.

Classic!....thanks for that!
Comes in a smaller size, too.
Working_zps7c01e974.jpg

These both are notorious for shedding bits of steel wire on things.

Never happens when I use them. I discard each after one use. If any metal shards did happen upon the grates, they will get blasted off with the water hose or pressure washer.

I use a CharGrill coily brush that works well, also I cut a groove in the end of a piece of 1/8" x 1/2" strap that fits exactly around the grate wire and scrape off heavy deposits with that. Of course, my dogs also help.

wadded up chunk of foil

weed burner

wadded up chunk of foil.

I made a V groove in a stiff putty knife to scrape crusties, my wife took offense to me absconding with her weeding tool that work great too!

Lemon cut in half then rubbed over the hot grate

I had forgotten to mention that I use a paint stir stick for the stubborn pieces when I don't have time to allow the dogs to attend to it.

I generally give it a scraping pre fire, fire it up and then a scraping after it's hot. Not sure my pet would like a hot lick. I should mention I have a cat, not a dog. There is a very cheap joke sitting there and I'll leave it lying where it is. :)

The onion and lemon method is interesting and I'll have to give them a try. As I mentioned in my OP foil just shreds on the cast iron grates. Those that keep mentioning it, are you using foil on cast iron? And if so, what kind of foil do you use that doesn't shred? I ended up with hundreds of aluminum flakes the one time I tried it.

jb

I generally give it a scraping pre fire, fire it up and then a scraping after it's hot. Not sure my pet would like a hot lick. I should mention I have a cat, not a dog. There is a very cheap joke sitting there and I'll leave it lying where it is. :)

The onion and lemon method is interesting and I'll have to give them a try. As I mentioned in my OP foil just shreds on the cast iron grates. Those that keep mentioning it, are you using foil on cast iron? And if so, what kind of foil do you use that doesn't shred? I ended up with hundreds of aluminum flakes the one time I tried it.

jb
Years ago, we had a cat that did a good job cleaning the grill. Better than the dogs, actually. It shone afterwards.

Back