After our first couple of fights...I found out she's sweet! First cook on the UDS

Yea, I pretty much like the taste of maple with pork, only it had been out in the rain real recently and the mesquite was dry....Either way I would have way too much wood If three or four chunks burried in the wood is all I needed...But what about when the coal itself is igniting? Now I know with the minion method it's burning backwards pulling the nasties back through the fire...But when you light a chimney starter it can really prduce some smoke...When I did the seasoning burn I did things the same way and ran clear exhaust all day...But this fire produced smoke right from the start...all the way through...Don't suppose some of flavor could be from the coal???:lol:

=raiderx;996267]I'd say that the mesquite was your problem. Too oily, heavy smoke. 3 or 4 chunks of the maple should be just fine.[/quote]

Wonder if I should stasy away from the briquettes all together and just use lump?
I did add some briquettes to the mix because they tend to burn longer than lump.

Nice stuff, seems like when I use charcoal I always taste some thing off. I think all women are related, seems like every time I start to cook my wife wants me to run off somewhere and it's always for more then 1 hour. My food is over done or my UDS temp has gone bad.

I think the best solution to this problem is to drive it over to me and let me sample it. And don't forget to bring some of those veggies.

Alright man! I'ts a mere 2 1/2 hour drive:lol:....Just went out and fit the lid a little better,,,Still had smoke and heat 24 hours later...wont go out. Must be cause the lid did'nt seal proper....I'll check again after a while..

I think the best solution to this problem is to drive it over to me and let me sample it. And don't forget to bring some of those veggies.

Alright man! I'ts a mere 2 1/2 hour drive:lol:....Just went out and fit the lid a little better,,,Still had smoke and heat 24 hours later...wont go out. Must be cause the lid did'nt seal proper....I'll check again after a while..

I just noticed the nice new lid good score.

Whats up with the aluminum foil doesn't the lid fit over the edges of your drum?

no it didn't fit so well. I had to roll the edge of the lid with some channel locks like you suggested...but did'nt take the ime time fit it with a hammer...did that this morning..

I just noticed the nice new lid good score.

Whats up with the aluminum foil doesn't the lid fit over the edges of your drum?

Back