After my 2nd BBQ competition, I think I'm retiring..

Don't give up. Keep notes of what you did and have fun. I only get to do about 2 comps a year. Maybe 3 if I'm lucky. I've been at it since 2012. Last year I went to a comp with a guy that it was our second time cooking together. We went to this contest and got 3calls and walked away with 5th overall out 19 teams. Cooking only a few comps a year can sometimes produce a great weekend. That 5th place finish was a big win for us.

We were there too. Had a Brethren banner, wish you would have seen it and stopped by. Last year was our first ever comp. We did respectful first time out. This year I thought we did our best pork ever but it didn't score well, 23 out of 43. Ribs were OK. Don't give up. In 5 comps that we have done we haven't earned a trophy or check but we are not going to quit. I took the judges class after the Cup last year and it helped. I will be more than happy to help you out with what they look for.

I saw your banner and meant to stop by and chat you up but never got around to it. For what it's worth, we had some of your pork and it was great. All of my wife's aunts were there and named you as one of their favorites!

I say nothing wrong with your choice. I was gung-ho to get into competition, but the more I researched the more I realized it just wasn't the game for me. It's not so much that I wouldn't want to go up against the seasoned pros, it's that I'd be working to perfect BBQ that I don't actually like to eat.

From THIS "butthead's" perspective: :wink:
Do yourself a favor and either become a judge with THAT sanctioning organization, OR befriend a judge who is a CBJ with that sanctioning organization and pick his/her brain and let him/her "judge" your entries and give honest criticism. Without knowing what wins it is difficult to get to that point.

I would listen to the butthead!

Back