After my 2nd BBQ competition, I think I'm retiring..

I judged in a local comp near here a couple of years ago. It was an eye opener as far as the actual judging procedure. The KCBS judge in charge of the comp instructed us on how he wanted the judging done. He encouraged us to not give too low of a score on the individual entries. His reasoning was that the competitors had a lot of time and money invested in the event, and they did not want any of them to go away discouraged with low scores.

Fair enough I thought. I went in with my own thoughts of how the different meats should taste and the texture should be. The presentation was last on my list to think about. In other words, if the taste and texture were good, then the presentation would not drop the final score to disqualify an entry.

When it came to the taste, I was quick to change my opinion of how I thought it should taste, and instead compared it to the other entries instead. None of them were done or tasted the way I would have done them or that I would turn out at my home. They were cooked for a competition and they showed and tasted like that. So, I had to as fairly as I could, judge each entry against the others. I also felt that the other judges did also as best they could. It was an eye opener for me, and I learned a lot from the experience. I also learned that competing was not for me, as most of the competitors were way too serious in their methodology than I would want to be.

I had a lot of fun and would do it again if offered the chance. Judging is not expensive and is a lot of fun if you make it so. Plus you get fed for free!

Omar

dont give up, just dig in and try again

From THIS "butthead's" perspective: :wink:
Do yourself a favor and either become a judge with THAT sanctioning organization, OR befriend a judge who is a CBJ with that sanctioning organization and pick his/her brain and let him/her "judge" your entries and give honest criticism. Without knowing what wins it is difficult to get to that point.

I am a newbie judge so I am still learning good competition Q. However I do not have expectations going into a comp other than being able to eat good food. I have not eaten or cooked nearly enough to be able to say "to much clove" or "I could taste the MSG" like one judge at my table after we were done. I do look for a good blend of flavor with a very open mind. I want to compete some day but I also would like to learn good Q as a judge. No judge should expect any flavors other than tasting the meat and then decide if the added stuff works together with that, to taste good...IMnotalwaysHO:thumb:

Yes, one of the teams that finished in the top five had a burnt roux. Not ONE team from south, louisiana even placed in the top ten. That in and of itself spoke volumes.

I would rather man up and take a DQ than embarass myself with a burned roux. Must have been yankee judges too... lol

I would rather man up and take a DQ than embarass myself with a burned roux. Must have been yankee judges too... lol

Well, one of the "problems" is that here in Northwest, LA it is more east Texas influence than Louisiana. Anyone who's lived here for a while will tell you north louisiana and south louisiana are two completely different cultures/"worlds".

My business partner is from south, la and over the years has shown me the differences in the cultures. He's taken me down to south, la and introduced me to real Cajun and Creole (these are not the same mind you) cuisine. It is very different from what northern, la attempts to replicate. I didn't know where the judges were from but if I'm guessing they were all from north, la and east texas.

My business partner's uncle was there to help us and he went around and got us a sample of everyone's entries from their booths. That's why we were shocked at the top winners. We tasted some very good gumbo's but NONE of them finished at the top of the field. However, these were also made like you would taste in south, la. Not northern, la.But we were very disappointed when we learned that one of the top three was a team whose roux was burnt (black stuff floating around in it). Granted, I'm not saying our selection should have won or placed in the top ten. But it says something when NONE of the teams from south, la even placed in the top ten. Their gumbo's were fine.

We've done two competitions. We placed second on ribs at the first one, but didn't do well at the second one. We know where we messed up, and I can't blame anyone but me. We just took a judging class taught by Master judges who've done over 250 competitions and he said " always judge on the side of the teams. They've put a lot of time and money into this and if they don't compe we don't judge." He was very adamant about this, and I could tell from the class he meant it. Don't quit because you think it's not judged fairly, because it's probably not true. The other teams may have a lot more experience, and you can't expect to place high right out of the gate. We did, then got cocky and got the butt kicking we deserved by better teams. And as far as people from Louisiana not winning a gumbo competition, is it possible that the other teams just made better gumbo. I mean it's not like you have to be from Italy in order to make great pastas. And darker rouxs are traditional for gumbo. If you don't win it doesn't mean you have to pout!!!!!

We've done two competitions. We placed second on ribs at the first one, but didn't do well at the second one. We know where we messed up, and I can't blame anyone but me. We just took a judging class taught by Master judges who've done over 250 competitions and he said " always judge on the side of the teams. They've put a lot of time and money into this and if they don't compe we don't judge." He was very adamant about this, and I could tell from the class he meant it. Don't quit because you think it's not judged fairly, because it's probably not true. The other teams may have a lot more experience, and you can't expect to place high right out of the gate. We did, then got cocky and got the butt kicking we deserved by better teams. And as far as people from Louisiana not winning a gumbo competition, is it possible that the other teams just made better gumbo. I mean it's not like you have to be from Italy in order to make great pastas. And darker rouxs are traditional for gumbo. If you don't win it doesn't mean you have to pout!!!!!

A burnt roux gumbo placed in the top three. Do I need to say more? Like black stuff floating around in it and you could actually taste the burnt flower. I'm not pouting because I didn't think we should have won. I'm just stating a fact that a team with a burnt roux placed in the top three. You can take that anyway you want. I'll leave it at that.

Don't underestimate the power of the drum. In reality it is no different than any other vertical cabinet style smoker that many top teams use. They are burning charcoal or lump or some combination of both, the same as your drum. The only difference is that the more expensive smokers are more efficient, have a bigger capacity, and are easier to use (in general). I switched from a Jambo to drums last season and didn't miss a beat.
View attachment 109087

Last edited:
I've been invited to be on teams. Turned them
All down. Drinking beer and cooking all day is not my thing. Wait, what the hell was I thinking? Must've been inebriated.

BUT- to the OP. All hobbies are expensive. Flyfishing, golf, bbq, shooting sports, everything is high $$$$$$.
Personally I think you've got the passion and the talent. I love it that you cook in a drum too. I do too. But mine has horseshoes and is far from ugly. Smoke on brother-kick butts

Congrats for even trying. I think these things are so damn restrictive I wouldn't have fun. It's so anal; every judge has the same mindset in exactly what they are looking for. I think I make the best chili in the world but I would bomb at a competition as the buttheads judging are looking for the exact same flavor profiles, textures, colors and consistency in the size and cut of meat it trumps real flavor.

Care to share your chili recipe? I tried chili from scratch just once, and it would have been great if it tasted anything like CHILI!

Amazing timing

On any given day, most of us can be either of those I suppose. I don't deny being one or the other. Just ask my wife! :razz:

And back to the OP... I cook on a drum, too - mine isn't nearly as nice as yours. I love it and have had some good luck with it. I don't think you should give it up. Once you hear your name called, its all downhill from there!

On any given day, most of us can be either of those I suppose. I don't deny being one or the other. Just ask my wife! :razz:

And back to the OP... I cook on a drum, too - mine isn't nearly as nice as yours. I love it and have had some good luck with it. I don't think you should give it up. Once you hear your name called, its all downhill from there!

A sleep deprived sense of humor on my part - posted with love :))

I haven't done a comp myself, I did act as sous chef for a buddy who entered one. Awful lot of time, work, $$$ went into that. Not sure I would want to enter one myself, but I'll probably offer my assistance (and soon to be mine LSG) for it if he does it again...

Would anyone care to expand on exactly what kind of hard work, time, and money is involved?

How is competition cooking different than you would cook for another event like a catering gig or a family/work function ?

The money I kind of understand if you're needing to travel long distances and set up and cook there, and then there's the entry fee, but other than the initial cost for a trailer or other transport devices and entry fees...what else is there besides the standard costs you would incur anyway?

Comps are not for everyone, that is for sure. I have done well in a few, horrible in a few. I would note, however, in the world of vending, where I am far more knowledgeable, it is anything but sure money. It can be far more expensive, far more competitive and far more disillusioning than competition cooking.

Know your product and market. You ask about pulled pork flavor, if you are going for vending, it is an interesting product and driven heavily by region and tradition. Out here in California, slaw on pulled pork sandwiches is a hard sell, sauce on the other hand, needs to be sweet, hot and plentiful. If I vend pulled pork, I slightly over-cook it, pull it and sauce is lightly. Then offer more sauce as requested. Buns can be on the small side, stack the pork up, makes it look good. Oddly, I prefer chopped pork, but, heard to often from folks saying "oh, he chopped the pork, that means it's undercooked"

Would anyone care to expand on exactly what kind of hard work, time, and money is involved?

How is competition cooking different than you would cook for another event like a catering gig or a family/work function ?

The money I kind of understand if you're needing to travel long distances and set up and cook there, and then there's the entry fee, but other than the initial cost for a trailer or other transport devices and entry fees...what else is there besides the standard costs you would incur anyway?
A big one is time frame, in a competition, you have only so much time to cook. With a catering gig, or work event, you can precook meats, precook sauces, precook sides. You have time to use, and access to use, a full on kitchen, with fully equipped tools and appliances. You can add helpers, and since you are paying them, you can get professional helpers.

I've only been in 5 comps but I can tell you they're definitely NOT a walk in the park. First, you have to make sure you bring all the stuff you'll need for the weekend....it's a LOT. Tent, tables, cutlery, all your meats, ice, drinks, chairs, lighting...TONS of crap. Then you have to prep the meats....and not just backyard BBQ prep. The hours devoted to just this task is a lot. Scraping chicken skin anyone???:biggrin1:

Once that's all done and everything is set up....you have to PLAN. Turn in times are set and very strict so you need to know what goes on and when. And you can't just ballpark it or you'll be screwed with undercooked or overcooked stuff. So you're sweating all this stuff all night long hoping it comes out the way you want.

Then when the foods are done, you have to make them as pretty as possible, put them in that damn styrofoam box (AFTER making the stupid garnish for the box which can take an hour for each one) and you better make sure they're looking spotless when the meat is there.

Finally....when the stuff is boxed you hurry over to the turn in table and drop off box #1. Then...bee line it back to your set up to work on box #2. Repeat this a total of four times. It's friggin nerve racking...especially when you've been up ALL DAMN NIGHT cooking...sweating....freaking out.

Finally....you turn in the last box and afterwards you feel like a king....until you start worrying about presentation...did you garnish properly....was that brisket too tough....did I F up the chicken again???

All that being said....it's one of the most exhausting things you'll ever do....and SO MUCH DAMN FUN....:biggrin1::biggrin1:

So, I had to as fairly as I could, judge each entry against the others.

I'm a total rookie BBQ judge, so take this for what it's worth (which likely ain't much):

At the KCBS class I just took in Cary, NC, the instructor went to great length to tell us never to compare one entry to the others. If they're all 9s, great. If they're all 6's, great. Relative difference between two did not matter.

We were also instructed to judge each entry with no starting point on the scale. If excellent: it's a 9. Very good: an 8. Average: a 6, and so on...

Our standard for taste profile was very subjective and was encouraged to be. I suppose if you had a flexible palate you could find two flavor profiles that were vastly different both to be excellent, which seems to my newbie self to be a pretty good idea.

However, from a statistical standpoint, if the useful range of scoring only practically exists from 6-9, then a general recalibration of the scale or the judges needs to occur.

Just some musings for now. I'll jump back in once I have a few contests under my belt to report what my impressions then may be.

Well that is 2 more comps than I have done. I don't think you have given it enough time to call it quits. I hope to do my first one this year or maybe next year. But I am going into it with the mindset that it is just a good time. Nothing else. I think if I go in expecting anything but DAL I will not enjoy it at all. I don't want to turn a hobby that I enjoy into work. More than anything I want to try it just to see how it all works.

If you want a clue about competing in BBQ contests, read this book

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Startin-Fire-George-W-Hensler/dp/1890689149"]Startin' the Fire: George W. Hensler: 9781890689148: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51siN0CYLwL.@@AMEPARAM@@51siN0CYLwL[/ame]

The book is funny and there is a lot of truth between the jokes. Unfortunately, I didn't read it until after I started competing :doh:.

Back