Advice/Suggestions on my trailer build?

"I would say the AC is a must have, we sleep in our trailer plus on 100+ degree days it yhelps even with the rear door open to make it comfortable while working inside."

I have been continplating a insulated curtain strips like you see when you walkin to the refrigerated room at Restaurant Depot at the rear door. They don't seem too expensive... Any thoughts on this?

Would stashing something like this under your prep table be an option as well?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JIURCTA/ref=mp_s_a_1_2/183-1921494-8401344?qid=1424614416&sr=8-2&keywords=Portable+Floor+Air+Conditioner&dpPl=1&dpID=417DW%2BLeyGL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SY200_QL40"]LG Electronics LP0814WNR 115-volt Portable Air Conditioner with Remote Control, 8000 BTU:Amazon:Home & Kitchen@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61snKDojqhL.@@AMEPARAM@@61snKDojqhL[/ame]

You can use one, but remember that it needs to be vented. Also, 8000 btu is pretty small when you consider how much the door gets opened and closed. I looked at various options that cost a bit less than a roof air unit, but concluded that the roof air had enough advantages to justify the cost.

Perfect timing on this thread......I just picked up a used trailer and am doing all the work myself to convert it to a BBQ trailer.

What is the best to use for insulation? After taking a wall panel out it looks like there is about 1in of room.

Last edited:
Perfect timing on this thread......I just picked up a used trailer and am doing all the work myself to convert it to a BBQ trailer.

What is the best to use for insulation? After taking a wall panel out it looks like there is enough room for about 1in of room.

The pre-insulated walls in ours was like a 1" thick Styrofoam cup (for lack of a better description), and the insulation we bought for the ceiling was 1" thick pink rigid foam from Home Depot.

Chad, where did you get your stainless steel tables? Did the rolling tool chest fit under those without any modifications?

Ok, so don't shot me for pasting this info below as it is from another thread. But after ordering and picking ours up, here is what we consider we would do different next time:

Here is some things:

- Get the 7’ ceiling, or ceiling height that will accommodate you and the lights mounted.
- Make sure the doors are tall enough for you to walk in and out without banging the schit outta your head (those of you who have been in my trailer know what I mean; you WILL bang your head!)
- Check the thickness of the exterior walls. Mine is thinner than others.
- 8’ porch is good for me. I have a BWS Fat-Boy and WSM 22” I put back there.
- As Kit mentioned, make sure you can get the smallest “lip” that is at the bottom of the doorway going out to the porch. You WILL trip over it, and it makes it much easier to wheel smokers, etc…, in an out. The “lip” on my trailer is much smaller than Kit’s trailer and I’m ok with it.
- I ordered the doors on mine to be the RV type that have built in screen doors. The mistake I made was not requesting them to be “true RV” type doors. By that I mean the top corners are rounded and not square. I cannot put a retractable (Dometic brand) awning on mine that will cover the door on the side. The top of the door on the side is only about 5-6 inches from the roof. If I were to put an awning up that went over the door, I could never lower it. The rounded corner RV type door and taller ceiling/roof will allow you to have an awning that will cover the door and you can lower it. Even though the top of the door will scrap the underside of the awning when it is lowered, that’s ok. I have had 4 travel trailers and all were the same way; rounded doors.
- Make sure the roof is one (1) solid piece of metal. Mine is four (4) different sheets with the seams crimped and coated with some goopy stuff. It might not ever leak, but if I had to do it over again, I would request the solid piece design.
- Make sure the ATP on the porch and/or the inside floor (if that is what you go with) is thick. Mine is not as thick as I would like for it to be.
- If you get a V-Nose, ask that the exposed frame be extended a little so you can easily install weight distribution bars and steering stabilizer. I had to have the system modified a little bit to work for me. It was not that big of a deal, but, it is something I would have asked for if I had known up front.
- Ask to have stabilizers installed instead of trying to do it yourself. They will re-enforce the frame to accommodate them.
- If you get a roof mounted air conditioner installed, ask to have another roof vent framed out and installed. I know I would have.
- As for insulation, check to see what is available from the seller/manufacture. I ordered mine without insulation as I have seen where they will use Styrofoam board. I did not want that and once I got it home, I took down all the 3/8” plywood walls and installed the Rmax Thermasheath-3 R-6 insulation board from Home Depot. It really helps with temps, helps with the rigidness of the walls and ceiling and really quiets the trailer.
- Ask Kit mentioned about the outside external plug/port for your power cable, might want to consider that. I have a 25’ shore cord that I snake through the hole in the floor to connect mine. No problems for us.
- Consider if you want 120 volt AC / 12 volt DC power convertor or not. EDIT: We installed the convertor ourselves. The trailer came with just a regualt 50AMP breaker panel. I went with that as I can run the 12 volt lights, BBQ Guru, car radio, etc… from an external mounted 12 volt deep cycle battery. If I lost 120 volt AC and did not feel like starting up the generators, I could get by for a while with lights inside, and run the BBQ Gurus.
- 8’ wide at least.
- D-rings: Do you want them? Inside, outside??? Make sure that if you have them installed either place the builder reinforces the underside of the floor with metal plates. I saw one where they just drilled holes through the ATP and used a couple of washers on the underside right up next to the bottom side of the plywood flooring. Not good!!!
- E-Track: Do you want it, need it? Most likely you want and will need it. You can purchase the stuff yourself and install where you want.
- I would have ordered 5,000lb axels with 16” wheels.
- Do you want any type plumbing? Shower? Toilet? Etc……..
- Make sure your door openings are wide enough to move your smokers or other wide items in and out!!!

If you look at Myron Mixon’s trailer, he has Freedom Trailers build his, but I am sure they go out of their way to make sure it is quality. Also, he has electric jacks for all four corners of his trailer for stabilizers; nice!!!

Also, you are more than welcome to come take a look at mine.

We paid $7,000 even. Ordered it from wowcargotrailers.com who they subbed it out to southgeorgiacargo.org trailers in Pearson, GA. They are down the road about 25 miles from Lang Smokers.

What we got/ordered was: the trailer, 16' enclosed (not including the V-nose part which is about 2') and 8' porch, with 50AMP AC panel, 2-4’ 120 volt florescent lights, 1-12 volt light inside, 1-12 volt light outside for porch, 2-120 volt outlets (which I rewired most of the stuff anyways), 3/8” plywood walls, no ceiling cover (they normally use 1/8’ luan board), 13,500 BTU air conditioner with heat strip (the heat strip will NOT heat the trailer if it is really cold; it will only "take the chill out of the air"), RV screen doors, no spare tire.

I know of another team that ordered a "porch trailer" but it was called a "deck" during the deal and when they went to pick it up, well, it was a deck with no roof!!!! Make sure of what you order!!!

Ask (demand) a CAD drawing and/or some type blueprint!!!

We removed the walls, installed the Rmax insulation, did some caulking where the overlapping of exterior walls met, and some other places, installed Rmax in the ceiling, installed ¼” plywood, redid the entire electrical system so we have about 8 - 120 volt outlets including one outside on the porch (I should have installed another outlet one the side close by the side door), painted the floor and walls with high grade outdoor paint, installed some rubber type flooring material that is normally used in garages (got the idea from DivaQ here on the forum; purchase it from Sam’s online), installed FRP on all walls, going to have the stabilizers installed in the next couple of weeks, and looking for an electric jack for the front.

Also, an important thing to consider for doors: If you ask for the RV type door which should include the screen door, make sure it is a TRUE RV type door where the top corners are rounded, not square. If you ever put an awning on the side, you will thank me. When you lower the awning down, maybe to let water drain off, or to keep sun out in the afternoon or morning, the door top will scrap the awning underneath. If the doors are squared off, you will rip the awning, guaranteed. If the doors are rounded, the door will simply scrap along the underneath, but will not rip it. Take a look at any RV and you will see what I mean.

Also, an important thing to consider for doors: If you ask for the RV type door which should include the screen door, make sure it is a TRUE RV type door where the top corners are rounded, not square. If you ever put an awning on the side, you will thank me. When you lower the awning down, maybe to let water drain off, or to keep sun out in the afternoon or morning, the door top will scrap the awning underneath. If the doors are squared off, you will rip the awning, guaranteed. If the doors are rounded, the door will simply scrap along the underneath, but will not rip it. Take a look at any RV and you will see what I mean.

Thanks Don! Very good advice! I called the builder I think I'm going with (Horton) and mentioned everything you advised here that is applicable to us. They were very accommodating.

So, after everyone's suggestions here and talking to some teams with trailers at the Killer B's Class last weekend I'm 99% sure on our final build. I'm most likely going with Horton Haulers out of Eatonton, GA. They have been recommended by a few people over the South Georgia manufacturers, plus are a lot closer to Atlanta if I ever need service.

Here's the final build:
8.5x14 with V-nose, raised header, no Beavertail
5,200lb axles
7ft interior
Insulated Walls and Ceilings with white aluminum finish
Two roof vents, one with A/C installed
30 amp electrical with 4 interior and 1 exterior outlet
15x24 windows over each axle
RV style door with screen door
Radial Tires
6 D-rings

Last question...can anyone recommend where to put the interior electrical outlets and breaker box?

Outlets - I'm thinking 3 feet high just behind the V-nose on driver side and side door on passenger side, and at the back on each side of the trailer
Breaker - somewhere in the V-nose, maybe low to the floor? Not sure

Also, hate to beat a dead horse, but check and ask what type insulation they will use. IMO, if it is styrofoam board, you are better off installing better product on your own.

I wouldn't put the panel down low. Mine is eye level at the corner of the prep table. Easy to see if a breaker is tripped and in a spot where I won't be adding any wall cabinets. The outlets sound about right, just make sure you have one above your prep table (3' is probably too low).

Back