Advice on rib tenderness

Wow, I've gotten two calls on ribs this year but I don't wrap until 3 hours and only for about 30 minutes. Heck the second call I screwed up my timeline and didn't even get to wrap!:shocked: Happy mistake I guess.

I see people say to slightly over-cook - my question is: if you cook them until they are basically "fall off the bone" will they reattach to the bone after a half hour or so, giving you that perfect tenderness?

I see people say to slightly over-cook - my question is: if you cook them until they are basically "fall off the bone" will they reattach to the bone after a half hour or so, giving you that perfect tenderness?

No. if they are at the point of falling off the bone, the meat attachment to that bone is gone, and can't get that back. If you can bite into the rib, and it comes off really easily off the bone, but doesn't fall off of it, you might have a shot..

There's overcooking, then there's overcooking the S$%T out of it.

Just to clarify, per the rulebook, KCBS judges on Appearance, Taste and Tenderness.

Just to clarify per my KCBS judging rulebook/manual from 2011 . . . KCBS judges on Appearance, Taste, and Tenderness/Texture. It might have been updated. I think it's really naive to think that a judge is only looking at and judging tenderness. As a judge and a competition team I promise you they are looking at the whole package.

Eggspert

Just to clarify per my KCBS judging rulebook/manual from 2011 . . . KCBS judges on Appearance, Taste, and Tenderness/Texture. It might have been updated. I think it's really naive to think that a judge is only looking at and judging tenderness. As a judge and a competition team I promise you they are looking at the whole package.

Eggspert

Your 2011 rule book is the problem. I was quoting from the 2014 rule book. If you look at my next post I agree with what you said about texture being what is actually being judged versus what is said in the current rule book.

Keep in mind, in KCBS it's a texture score . . . not tenderness. That could mean too sticky from sauce, dry meat, too tender, too tough, dry on the outside. Don't jump to the conclusion that you need to get more tender to increase your texture score.

Eggspert

I have no doubt that texture is important. But in the KCBS rules, tenderness is tenderness not texture.

Hey brethren! I'm looking for any advice on improving tenderness scores for ribs.

I cook them for 2 hours 15 minutes meat side up, flip meat side down, baste, cook for another hour, and then wrap for an hour with the usual goodies in the wrap.

Wrap longer. Another hour

looks like you are going from the smoker to the box. i find that ribs benefit from a rest period foiled and coolered before prepping for the box.

looks like you are going from the smoker to the box. i find that ribs benefit from a rest period foiled and coolered before prepping for the box.

Right or wrong, I've always went from cooker to the box. I've been wanting to try resting for a period of time, but haven't. I unwrap, and let them sit there for about 10 minutes before I slice into them. I can definitely see how resting would help more.

Back