Advice on new smoker

Badassmekanik

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
I’m currently in the market for a new smoker I’m looking for something I can move occasionally while storing it on my back patio. A trailer is not an option due to neighborhood restrictions and a small garage. I would like to fine something I can roll on a rented uhaul trailer occasionally. I’m debating on A LSG 20x42, Shirley Patio, Stumps Gravity smoker, or an Assassin Gravity smoker. I’m personally more leaning towards a stick burner because I have a Big Kamado Joe where I can set it and forget it.

I'd go stick burner too. Everybody on here seems to really like the Shirleys.

He's making a traditional direct flow offset now also in addition to his reverse flows.

Not sure where you're located, but shipping is crazy high now. See if you can find something you like that's built close to where you live.

With the Uhaul idea, better have someone on hand to help you push it up the ramp. 800-1000 pounds doesn't go uphill easy!

Also, if money is no object, I'd go at least 48" with the wagon package on whatever you buy.

If you're in the bargain mode, check out Blue Smoke Smokers. 24" x 48" 3/8" steel for $1700 base price. He may be able to put bigger wheels on it for you:

https://bluesmokesmokers.com/

A Shirley would certainly be at the top of my list as well. Would keep an eye out on facebook marketplace and join the Shirley Fab group on FB to try to catch one somewhat local when it goes on sale.

I would add a Lang 36-48 to your list as well. I recently picked up a 36 and so far, I really like. Only criticism I have is that it can run about 20-30° hotter on the firebox end, though I am still learning how to use it. Temps are quite stable on it too. They pop up pretty frequently on facebook marketplace and in the two big Lang fb groups. Would just make sure to get good pics or be able to inspect it before buying, I've heard they have had QC issues with their welds in the past.

In general with stick burners, make sure you get something that is all 1/4" or thicker construction. I also have a 48" offset that has a 3/16 cook chamber and semi-insulated firebox and the temps can swing quite a bit. Might offload it in favor of the Lang in the coming months.

I have a Shirley 24x36 sitting on my back Patio and a new one with Warmer, etc. on order so I'm committed to Shirleys.
If you need to move a smoker around, as you've indicated, keep in mind what wheels they have on their smokers. The standard wheels/tires on a Shirley 24x36 are 10" pneumatic casters on front and 16" "boat wheels" out back so they will roll fairly easily over grass, etc. I don't think the others you mention have casters/wheels anywhere near that large.
For the Shirley, keep in mind that the rear axle is about 42" wide and I know that has caused issues with going through fence gates in the past. I think that Shirley can shorten that axle, but don't know what they charge to do it.
While a Shirley can be moved around, they do weigh in at about 800+ lbs. and it takes some muscle to get them up ramps, etc. I borrow my neighbor's hunting buggy with a
winch to get mine up and down the ramps I put on the edge of my Patio as it sits about 18" above grade. I also see that the trailer used by Kevin White to deliver Shirleys is also equipped with a big winch on the front so that may not make it to feasible to move any of these cookers around without a lot of muscle on both ends of the trip.

I seem to remember reading somewhere (and for the life of me I can't recall exactly where) that Shirley builds very good smokers. You might even find a Brethren member who owns one or at least knows someone who does. Good luck in your search!

I was more leaning towards the Shirley patio if I go with another maker I’ll have to get one built as a wagon.

If your only transport is a U-Haul trailer, then I would suggest an offset (Yoder, Horizon, etc). Something that isn't super heavy and that has easy balance and big back wheels. You'll need a LOT of help getting a Stump's or Assassin on a ramp. They are very top heavy and not super mobile. Great cookers, though! I have 6 cookers, and the Assassin is the LAST one I will move. It basically goes when I move from the house.

Well a Shirley patio fell into my lap I’m going to be a Shirley owner next week. I’m excited about this new BBQ adventure.

Next step....find a good wood supplier. Get some before you bring the cooker home because you'll be wanting to run her as soon as you see her!

Good choice.

Well a Shirley patio fell into my lap I’m going to be a Shirley owner next week. I’m excited about this new BBQ adventure.

I think folks would like to hear more details. For example where did it come from, what caused it to tip over, and did you sustain any injuries? Thanks hope you're doing well!

Back