MSU Chili

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dave
Took a cue from The High Plains, scaling my chili recipe back to a small pot. Assembly by eyeball and intuition.

The major players -

picture.php

Onion, red bell and garlic sautéed -

picture.php

Ground beef -

picture.php

Leftover pork from ribs -

picture.php

Green chilis. Never used this stuff before, it's chili mush -

picture.php

My, these guys are HOT -

picture.php

No gots Tequila, so Jim will have to do. One for the pot, one for the cook -

picture.php

Assorted spices, a can of Rotel, and I have a pot of chili -

picture.php

Let it simmer for a while -

picture.php

Plated -

picture.php

Overall impression: Not good. Way too much meat. I didn't measure much, just threw it all together. Not much flavor other than meat. Gonna let it sit in the fridge for a few days before deciding on what to do with it. I think more onion, garlic and maybe poblanos will help a lot.

to much meat?? what is this "to much meat" you speak of??

:p

actually the last few threads that have popped up about chili really have me jonesin for a good spicy bowl of red. trying to minimize carbs so definitely no beans. anyone have a good keto-friendly chili recipe

Looks good in the Pic. Must have been the use of Bourbon and not Tequila . I dont use either. I put a can of beer in mine- last pot I used Sam Adams Octoberfest

It was posted here a while ago that beer is a bad idea if you're not going to consume the chili right away. I forget why. I added a 1/4 cup of Merlot instead.

If all you taste is meat, then it's not chili. My usual recipe uses 4 lbs. of meat and makes a big pot. Here I tried to scale that back to about 1/4 the size. But I didn't pay attention to how much meat I was using, and the other ingredients got lost in the mix.

It was posted here a while ago that beer is a bad idea if you're not going to consume the chili right away. I forget why. I added a 1/4 cup of Merlot instead.

probably because of yeast from the fermentation?? just a guess

most big brands of beer or so heavily filtered that it's unlikely there is actually any in there, tho the small craft beers do have it, I've cultured yeast from some of them when i was actively brewing. but you can't get it from budweiser that's for sure. the heat from the long simmer should destroy any yeast so I'm not sure that's the problem.

edit - for the record I am far from being a food/chili expert so this is more of a question as well

Last edited:

I've been putting beer & bourbon in my chili for over 20 years. Usually make a big batch so it doesn't all get eaten right away. Never had any issues.

If all you taste is meat, then it's not chili. My usual recipe uses 4 lbs. of meat and makes a big pot. Here I tried to scale that back to about 1/4 the size. But I didn't pay attention to how much meat I was using, and the other ingredients got lost in the mix.

Don't see a lot of chiles there. I put a bunch of fresh ones in mine, mild, medium and control heat level with hot ones.

I've been putting beer & bourbon in my chili for over 20 years. Usually make a big batch so it doesn't all get eaten right away. Never had any issues.

Don't see a lot of chiles there. I put a bunch of fresh ones in mine, mild, medium and control heat level with hot ones.

I normally have about a pound of roasted Hatch chilies in my 4 lb. meat batch. Here I used almost half of the 16 oz. jar of 505. Never used that stuff before, didn't know what it'd contribute.

Best part of MSU is that you can still add to what you have left to even it out!

Throw another half can of RoTel in there, maybe some more sauteed onions and the experiment continues!

Best part of MSU is that you can still add to what you have left to even it out!

Throw another half can of RoTel in there, maybe some more sauteed onions and the experiment continues!

That's the plan :-D

so, kinda like an "infinity chili" huh??:laugh:

Google for how to fix a bland chili and you get things like cinnamon, cocoa powder (which I already have), tomato paste, onions, garlic and more chilis. More MSU to come...

Google for how to fix a bland chili and you get things like cinnamon, cocoa powder (which I already have), tomato paste, onions, garlic and more chilis. More MSU to come...

More fresh chiles. This went into my last batch. Actually I had one habanero leftover that I didn't use.

SFCY02Sl.jpg

actually the last few threads that have popped up about chili really have me jonesin for a good spicy bowl of red. trying to minimize carbs so definitely no beans. anyone have a good keto-friendly chili recipe

Beans are mainly protein and the carbs are complex, so beans are your friend for Keto. It's the simple stuff like bread, spuds, pasta etc that you have to avoid.

So... eat your beans!

Back