Aaron Franklin does a KCBS Competition

That was a great episode, I have been fortunate enough to eat at Aarons place twice and it was awesome both times. He is great to watch as well as I love his personality.

He took it in stride and smiled for the crowd, but he seemed to be a little irritated at the awards.

He took it in stride and smiled for the crowd, but he seemed to be a little irritated at the awards.

When you are up all day driving to a competition, setup your site in the heat, prep all your meats, get a few hours of sleep in a night because you are tending the fire, getting super focused for turn ins, come crashing down from the adrenaline pumping in your system during turn ins, then have to break down your site all while doing this in the middle of summer heat, any person would be irritable. Just sayin!

I know after the 3 comps I have done, I was highly irritable during clean up and drive home.

Thank you. I have never seen his show before. I don't think it is on our pbs in the pittsburgh area. I wish it was. Thanks for putting up the link. I have watch a couple episodes since the link had more than one episode.

I know how he feels when you cook great BBQ that a lot of people really love and will pay you for it, then you get an ego trip in your head and enter a comp just to place in the middle of the pac! What a reality check! Been there and done that!
I totally respect comp cooking! But I have to admit it's not MY favorite BBQ! A little of competition flavor goes a long way!. That's why I think there has to be a better way to judge competitions.

I attempted watching 2 episodes of BBQ pit masters and couldn't make it all the way through the second one. One was Father vs Son and about threw up a little in my mouth trying to get through it. Why would Aaron Franklin even associate with those bozos? Marketing i suppose

I attempted watching 2 episodes of BBQ pit masters and couldn't make it all the way through the second one. One was Father vs Son and about threw up a little in my mouth trying to get through it. Why would Aaron Franklin even associate with those bozos? Marketing i suppose

It could be for money. Or it could be to help bring more attention the craft of bbq, which they love. I'm pretty sure Myron Mixon, Tuffy Stone, and Aaron Franklin have turned more people onto bbq, than a majority of professional and backyard bbq'ers.

It could be for money. Or it could be to help bring more attention the craft of bbq, which they love. I'm pretty sure Myron Mixon, Tuffy Stone, and Aaron Franklin have turned more people onto bbq, than a majority of professional and backyard bbq'ers
Could be wrong but i wouldn't think that, friends teaching friends and neighbors teaching neighbors would be more I assume. I know I've never heard of any of those guys before these forums and still have zero idea who this Tuffy Stone is.

I've always assumed people that were half way into bbq watched those shows not people that got into it because of them.

Could be wrong but i wouldn't think that, friends teaching friends and neighbors teaching neighbors would be more I assume. I know I've never heard of any of those guys before these forums and still have zero idea who this Tuffy Stone is.

I've always assumed people that were half way into bbq watched those shows not people that got into it because of them.

Several of my friends got bit by the bug by watching bbq pitmasters. I have seen plenty of people on these forums say they got the bug by watching either bbq pitmasters or hearing about the meteoric rise of Aaron Franklin and wanting to be able to do what he does.

Believe it or not, having a public stage, such as a TV show, brings a lot of attention to that subject.

Also for the people already into bbq, it can help with your cooking. I know I have picked up different tricks, tips, and flavor profiles watching the show. I do this by actually watching/looking at the small details vs the broad stroke tips they give for the beginner bbqer.

I too watched the show (last night from DVR), and I thought it was great. I have done over 60 KCBS competitions including the Jack and the Royal, and I am not sure why a few folks here are so down on competition 'que. I have catered for over 5 years, and I can say that my ribs and brisket are very similar flavor profiles to what I use in competition. Although, I'm not using high end expensive meats, and I'm not injecting anything. My chicken I serve for catering is the least like what I turn in for comps. I also do not slather everything in sauce for catering, but my rubs and the level of tenderness are exactly the same. I put the sauce on the side for folks to put on themselves.

I can tell you that I have learned more about the cooking "process" and timing since I started competing than any other book, class, etc. Flavor may carry the largest portion of a judges score, but tenderness is a close second. I think the hardest part for most competition cooks is nailing tenderness... especially on ribs. You have to be spot on to win.

Anyway, I applaud Aaron for jumping in and giving some insight to competition BBQ. I guarantee you that if he stuck with it for a few comps, he would start hearing his name called. It's a process of refining timing, techniques, etc.

Kudos to BBQ with Franklin... I hope his show keeps going, I love it.

Back