THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
With inspiration from BBQ Bacon and his Rosemary Sourdough post here -

https://bbq-brethren.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294185

it turned into a sourdough and soup weekend for me and the Mrs.

First there were the Bolillos which I made for the Sonoran Hot Dogs. I followed that by using the discard for Sourdough Popovers -

wyFjqL2.jpg

Tsdt5W5.jpg

yhzRdQi.jpg

These didn't turn out as airy as usual, but were good nonetheless.

My wife was in a soup making mood. For a Southwestern Cheesy Creamy Corn and Pulled Chicken Soup, you've gotta start with chicken for shredding -

cQNF8Qb.jpg

My wife got to work on this fantastic soup. You can't go wrong with Corn, Black Beans, Fire Roasted Tomatoes with Green Chiles, Monterey Jack, Half and Half, Jalapenos. Red Peppers and a few other ingredients I've probably forgotten -

OaKbbHT.jpg

Some nice heat to it and it's quickly becoming soup weather here in New England with Fall temps settling in. Unfortunately my Sourdough bread was nowhere near ready for it last night. Ingredients for it: Lots of Fresh Basil, Garlic and Tomatoes -

dP6lyNe.jpg

Transformed into a dough -

zPNI3kS.jpg

As the tomatoes were the only source of water, the hydration was tricky as the water ratio isn't accurately measured. It was very sticky and required a lot more bread flour to make the dough workable. I refrigerated it overnight and worked with it again this morning.

After it overflowed my banneton while rising, I figured wrangling it into the Dutch oven would be a chore, so I split it into two and let them rise once more. Maybe a good decision, maybe not. I grew tired of waiting for it to rise for the third time and just went with it. Besides, the fragrance of the dough while proofing in the oven all day was begging me to bake it -

mhdgGYg.jpg

5GFlyn5.jpg

It seems dense, but really wasn't. It had a great flavor, the crumb was quite good and of course, it went really well with tonite's soup!

LvmJZ2o.jpg

Zj162dX.jpg

9akD4W6.jpg

Somewhat of a drawn out sourdough and soup adventure from me and the Mrs.

Thanks for checking out this thread.

Regards,
-lunchman

U never fail to amaze,,,,,
I wouldn’t mind being ur neighbor,,,
U might not feel the same,,,,,
But I’m the kind of person that always shows up with some beer, or ,tomatoes, fresh sausage, 5# of flour,,,,nice bottle of evoo,,,,,big bag of lump charcoal,,,,,,some thing ,,,,good,,,LOL

That does look good. Still a little warm for soup in southern OK… Your bread making skills amaze me. I have none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hot damn that looks good. I may try this but use sun-dried tomatoes to see how that would work.

I think sun-dried would be a wiser choice. There were simply too many variables in moisture content due to the fresh tomatoes. I gave up counting additional tablespoons of bread flour and was adding as much as necessary to minimize the stickiness. Not an ideal method for making bread.

Back