A fatty for my little Daisy

jwtseng

is one Smokin' Farker
As would make any BBQ Brethren proud, my kids have developed a definite taste for a good neckid fatty. Of course, they think it comes from the market that way and don't realize the care and attention that goes into that simple yet seductive log of goodness. That's fine, because I love turning the ordinary into something a little less ordinary with the addition of something as simple as smoke!

For my fatty free-for-all, I wanted to make something to delight the senses of my little 17-month-old, Daisy. I set out to make her a fatty that would be fun for her to see and easy for her to eat...and still not stray too far from the simplicity that makes a neckid fatty significant. I was a bit lax on taking photos of the cook, but you'll understand how that plays into the ultimate reveal soon enough.

Of course there is a bacon weave involved (and some MooGloo):

lYT11Eah.jpg

There it is...witness the power:

6ap2gcNh.jpg

We got some mini neckid fatties coming off the pit...also known as breakfast links lol:

b2guzq1h.jpg

Here is a medium sized neckid-looking fatty:

kTgXLRAh.jpg

And then a more regular-sized one about to get the bacon-wrap treatment:

kPZbAXyh.jpg

A bit of magic mushroom pow-pow and parsley and it's onto the pit:
(you can see some pig shots coming along in the periphery)

iKIFk21h.jpg

In the meantime, these cheddar chive tuiles happened:

A5wDup2h.jpg

And some spareribs got the boneless treatment:

sKmiEs5h.jpg

But 'dem bones weren't about to play second fiddle:

vgLrs6hh.jpg

I call them "bone-stuffed fatties":

OxB5Sluh.jpg

And voila! The finished Fatty Free-For-All:

7cvGiDwh.jpg

We got a full rack of Bone-stuffed Fatties, some Crumbled Fatty Pig Shots, and my Fatty for Daisy...a fatty-stuffed fatty within a fatty. My inspiration (besides my little girl Daisy, of course) came from the art of kazari makizushi. You can see more famous examples HERE. As always, the original intent is to make food more interesting and unexpected and more fun to eat, especially for children.

To make my Fatty for Daisy, I took the smoked breakfast links and wrapped each in roasted seaweed to make a defined outline. Then I arranged 5 of them in a cylindrical pattern with a carrot stick in the middle (for color) and wrapped the whole thing tightly with seaweed to keep everything in place. The whole thing then got the fatty treatment...not once, but twice...two layers of sausage, individually smoked. I should have wrapped the first layer in seaweed again to make it more obvious, but you can still see it if you look closely. The bacon weave went on and back into the smoker for another cook, and that was it! Turned out well. And the baby was indeed delighted to see it!

Anyways, thank you for looking and following along. This was a fun cook and everything was delicious and fun to eat. I already have designs on doing this again because what it looks like when you finally cut into it is such a surprise for all...even for me, the maker. You just never know until you cut into it!

Xkf4iUTh.jpg

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Awesome stuff James! :clap:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say your Mom wouldn't let you play with your food and now your making up for lost time...:becky:

Last edited:
Damn! I don't even know what to say about that. :shocked: Amazing, awesome, outstanding, just don't seem to say enough. Looks like art! .....great job! :thumb:

What are the white bulbs with the grass looking stuff growing out the top?

Impressive cook, it would be hard to be first to the take on that spread.

Back