A Day Off in the 505 - w/ Pr0n!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
Unexpected overtime on Saturday flip-flopped our meal plan for the weekend.

Found myself at El Super after work yesterday for some badly needed Mexican food for dinner.

:shock: What's this!? Lump Charcoal? 15lbs? $4!? I bought a few.

ZBWbz7ml.jpg

Needed some Carne Asada.

7kDRYkll.jpg

Had a serious hankering for Tony & Maribel's Beans.

Bacon

4ecIGSXl.jpg

Chorizo, Double Smoked Ham, Onions

q7TWqu5l.jpg

zhmgDB5l.jpg

OMWLyVOl.jpg

xTz6VLLl.jpg

BREAK BREAK

pmad's smoked pistachios over in St Louis were calling to me. Decide to give these a shot with some Good Chit as the seasoning.

0CPrxsrl.jpg

A3cdiXLl.jpg

Picked up some Duroc Spare Ribs for tonight. - Never seen or tried before.

LXNByVTl.jpg

Meanwhile, it's time to recreate that Loco Moco from Hamdrew.

Hit these hard with 50/50 Santa Maria & Carne Crosta mix.

TDOhu94l.jpg

Into the CI skillet for a hard sear and to catch the juices.

PTKtS8wl.jpg

Gravy Time! - Portobellos into the drippins with some added bacon fat

nJng1mIl.jpg

Needed a bit more soy sauce for both salt and umami

zwq9Q10l.jpg

Waiting for the garlic rice, and then I'll fry up the egg(s)...

It's in high 40s outside but feels like 60 in the sun.

More shenanigans to come.

how do you treat your Taco shells?

I bought some freshly made corn tortillas and I "build" the taco in the CI skillet, then fold/flip to melt the cheese and crisp up the tortilla.

I'm sure that this will start a conversation about tacos vs. mulitas, but that's ok.

Man you made more than the best out of a flip flop weekend. A bunch of great finds and meals in the making. What are your thoughts on the smoked pistachios? I thought they were great. Anxioulsy awaiting the duroc review as I have never tried myself.

That all looks awesome, but for some reason those "Tony & Maribel's Beans" are what had me really drooling. They look awfully good on that plate

Looking good Marc, Duroc St Spares are the only ribs I cook anymore, so good. Thinking about getting a 26" with the SnS, can you pull off a full Packard with that setup?

How was the $4 lump.

Works just fine - I've been using that charcoal from El Super for a while / when I can't get El Diablo lump. The pieces are smaller than El Diablo, but the bags are smaller, too... so I get it. It's what you see in the SNS today.

That all looks awesome, but for some reason those "Tony & Maribel's Beans" are what had me really drooling. They look awfully good on that plate

Absolutely. Momma said Mexican food... and beside the Carne Asada from El Super, those beans were the first thing that came to mind. They put jalapeños and such in theirs (and I'm sure it's delicious), but I can't do that with the tender palette of my munchkin.

Thinking about getting a 26" with the SnS, can you pull off a full Packard with that setup?

This thing is huge, Kevin! You should be just fine, especially if you do a bit of trimming.

Now that's a productive day off.

When I'm busy at work, I find that I need "Extra" smoke therapy on days off.

NEWS FLASH - I can't keep my munchkin away from these smoked pistachios!

Back