THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In the home stretch on the Boston butt - seasoned with Oakridge BBQ Secret Weapon, Jealous Devil charcoal, pecan and cherry wood chunks.

Time out for Brethren Primo Oval XL observation
I seldom use my POXL for grilling. Saw on Primo FB where a person removes everything sets their elevated grate in the bowl over the coals to grill steaks burgers etc. says it’s the perfect height. You may have known this, I just learned it yesterday.

Time In: back to your beautiful pork cook

I had a hard time envisioning what you were saying but pretty sure I found the pic. I’ll have to try that sometime, there’s definitely been times I wished to be closer to the coals without having to use an excessive amount of charcoal.

Attachments

That butt is looking perfect. Jeremy's is still a little wide for my tastes but that one's great...

Sorry. I couldn't help myself.

I pulled it off the drum about 9 hours after it went on. It got almost 4 hours of resting then I pulled, portioned, and sealed. Doneness was just how I like it, nothing tough that required pulling apart, just easy to break into tender chunks, slightly on the larger side. Tasted pretty good :clap2:

On to brisket tomorrow...

Got the brisket trimmed up this morning and decided another round of Kosmo's Prime Reserve was in order. I'll probably wind up cooking it on the Primo XL overnight, been quite a while since I've cooked a brisket on it and based on size of brisket and approximate target serving time, an overnight cook is going to be my best bet I think.

Whoever was trimming it put a hole straight through the flat enough to stick a finger through. :crazy: I don' think it'll cause a problem when cooking though, I should be able to lay the flat on the grate in such a way to keep it "pushed close".

19.1lb prime brisket from Costco, this one was Excel I think - not whatever brand was the prime CAB I got a couple weeks back. Had this one in my meat fridge for about a month.

Big ol point, and a big ol flat - lots of material to remove between each muscle. I'm guessing the point weighs 5lb+, as the whole thing weighed ~12.5lb after trimming (yes, a 6.75lb "loss"). However, I should have a good yield from what's left....65-70% after cooking, IME.

5.5lb fat/trash, no use for the fat at the moment

Got about 1.25lb of trimmings that'll be good for grinding

To be continued...

Back