THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I picked up a 10lb Boston butt from a local grocer the other day...$.99/lb, Prairie Fresh all natural, one of my favorite "commodity" brands. 10lbs was on the large side, but my plans for it were pork sausage grind, then cube some up for pressure cooker pork chile verde or something like that. I expected at 10lbs, it probably had a fair amount of waste on it, which seems to be the case lately with other brands.

Nope...just had one side of it that is normally trimmed off, not. When I removed the plastic I saw a big beautiful butt with a lot of potential....seemed almost a crime to cube this one up and grind the rest of it. Other than the one side that was a little "bulbous", it was a standout Boston butt...very little work required after the processor did their thing. So I chopped that side off, then ground it along with some brisket trimmings leftover from the weekend, and then ground all that again. Something good will come of that. :clap2:

(don't worry I got the gland after cutting)

Probably 60/40 pork/brisket at 70/30 meat/fat - guess

Not long after I sat down I received an Amazon notification of a delivery...a book I ordered after some discussion here recently that I did not have in the library. Opted for the "used, slightly" version for $3.xx instead of new, and as usual with my "used" Amazon book orders - looked new. It was delivered a week ahead of the estimate - surprise!

I'm thinking the butt will go on the Clonesaker in some way and I'll read the book in my downtime.

Oh yeah, and I seasoned up some chicken thighs with a Albukirky Green Chile, or a combo of Red Chili and Anchonero I plan to cook on the rotisserie tomorrow.

I keep seeing those Albukirky rubs popping up. How is their salt content? Care to post a pic of the ingredients? I have a buddy who lives in Albuquerque so I´m thinking to have him ship me some of them.

Salt is listed as the first ingredient, but I wouldn't say they're "overly salty" or anything like that. No more than most other seasonings I use at least. The salt is mostly large granules and the flavors are well balanced, I'm a big fan any time I'm looking for some southern/south of the border style flavor.

(don't worry I got the gland after cutting)

I have usually just trimmed a bit, smoked and pulled. What does the gland look like ? and where is it located ? Couldn't find a video.

The pic with the cut side profile, part of it is around 5 o'clock below center, and in the pic after there's a "dimple" where I removed it. I assume it's a gland at least...kinda looked like a brain lol. It seems that normally that bulged side is trimmed off before packaging on the butts I buy, so I've not had to deal with that one on the side before.

Last edited:
gland

The pic with the cut side profile, part of it is around 5 o'clock below center, and in the pic after there's a "dimple" where I removed it. I assume it's a gland at least...kinda looked like a brain lol. It seems that normally that bulged side is trimmed off before packaging on the butts I buy, so I've not had to deal with that one on the side before.

Thank you. Maybe pretrimmed butts is why I haven't seen it. But you can be sure I will be looking closely in the future. Don't want to eat anything too nasty ....

Salt is listed as the first ingredient, but I wouldn't say they're "overly salty" or anything like that. No more than most other seasonings I use at least. The salt is mostly large granules and the flavors are well balanced, I'm a big fan any time I'm looking for some southern/south of the border style flavor.

Thanks Suds! Will have to get some!

Man, these thighs sure turned out great :thumb: crispy skin that crackled when you bite into it.

Hit with a little pecan smoke

Probably do tacos with the leftovers tomorrow night :clap2:

You sure picked a good one. I think I would have had to smoke the whole thing. As it turns out those sausage look killer along with those thighs. Might need to get some chicken out of the freezer in a hurry

Fine dining

Been an Albukirky Fan for years.

I wish I'd have found out about it sooner, only because of a Brethren trade round.

Once they resume again I highly encourage everyone to participate and get exposure to some flavor from a locality you may not have experienced or been privy to before - several of my now favorite seasonings were discovered through trade rounds :clap2:

Time out for Brethren Primo Oval XL observation
I seldom use my POXL for grilling. Saw on Primo FB where a person removes everything sets their elevated grate in the bowl over the coals to grill steaks burgers etc. says it’s the perfect height. You may have known this, I just learned it yesterday.

Time In: back to your beautiful pork cook

Everything looks amazing!! I wish I could cook like that! Was the rotisserie chicken on the clonesaker? If so, why didn’t you use the baffle that spins the heat?

Back