A 30 Day Dry Aged KC Strip

I just got inspired! Ordered some bags, thanks for the awesome thread!

That's great!! Hope you have good luck with them. Brethren ssv3 (Sako's) dry age threads really helped me out and pushed me over the edge.

Looking forward to your posts!! :-D

Jeanie
Another cowgirl extraordinary cook!! Thanks for sharing!
I'm going to have to look into this dry age process.

Jeanie
Another cowgirl extraordinary cook!! Thanks for sharing!
I'm going to have to look into this dry age process.

That looks wonderful i have thought about trying that

Thank you Doog and George! The bags are really easy to use..the hard part is waiting while the meat ages. :-D

That all looks fantastic! I'm just having a hard time understanding how it works and still be a good cut of meat after the process. I need to look into it more. Thanks for posting!

Oh oh I can answer that! :D When I was still a chef I got to assist when my exec did a class on charcuterie.
Basically the meat contains natural enzymes that begin to break down the muscle tissue, and are also responsible for the release rigor mortis btw, so by aging the meat you are essentially controlling the decomposition of the muscle tissue via temperature and humidity control over time.

This process forces moisture out of the meat to evaporate, and seeing as meat is mostly moisture, this is a good thing because it intensifies the beef flavor. This also means that the outside layer of muscle dries out since the water has less distance to travel to evaporate which results in that waxy outside coating. The longer you age the meat, the more tender it will be but if you go to long you basically end up with something akin to jerky since all the moisture will eventually evaporate.

There are two processes, wet aging and dry aging. The above is the dry aging process, the wet aging process seals the meat in a cryo bag and the enzymes go to work but the moisture doesn't evaporate so you don't lose as much weight, but don't gain as much flavor, it's cheaper though so it tends to be the one most packers go with.

13d5b7e3-4cfd-4199-9e7b-8bb850d22c49_zpskb0irm78.jpg

Great looking steak Jeanie... :hungry:

Sister, I have said it before and I will say it here again. You are a tough act to follow and a inspiration to us all. Simply phenomenal:thumb:

Greg, thank you! I really want to try your method. Hope you don't mind me bugging you for info. Your prime ribs look out of this world delicious!! :hug:

Of course you can holler anytime - you've certainly shown/taught me an incredible amount of great stuff, that's for sure!

Back