Dry Aged Ribeye

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
So I just finished dry aging a rib roast for the first time. Was going to cook it for Christmas, but it ended up being to small to feed everyone. So I cut it up into steaks instead. Two went into the freezer and the third got cooked up tonight.

This one was just over 14oz. Used some Southside Market Smoked Steak seasoning.

oOXdBCyh.jpg

GcAZpLHh.jpg

Onto the Big Joe indirect with a chunk of B&B Post Oak to raise the temp. Then cranked up the Joe and tried Moose's flappity flip, flop, flip method.

It was exhausting! Forgot to take extra grill pics. Did get a decent crust, but I'll probably go back to my lazy three flip method. :p

ix3DlAHh.jpg

Served up with a tater and some leftover mushrooms from Christmas.

ryFLupWh.jpg

7Upm2hIh.jpg

Was a REALLY tender steak, but not much of a taste difference that I could tell. Maybe need more that 28 days. :noidea: Will probably try it again when I find another rib roast on sale, maybe go 42-49 days next time.

If you have a spare fridge, give it a go as there is not much you have to do except make sure fridge temps are in range.

Thanks for looking.

I dabbled with aging beef and never really tasted a flavor change until day 40 or so. I did notice a tenderizing characteristic with less days but found 40+ to be my sweet spot effort vs reward. Dry aged beef does cook quicker in my experience, probably due to the moisture difference in non aged vs aged.

Looks like a fine steak :thumb:

Outstanding Cooked to perfection I would have been glad to help you with the other 2 so you did not have to tie up freezer space :razz:

That steak looks delicious, no problem here eating it. With that said, you did mention missed flavor expectations and thought of extended the drying time. There are too many other variables that could account for the disparity between expectations and results. For example, your fire. Looks great, but is it sizzling hot? I did not see any tongs, nor any mention of clicking, nor did I read about number/frequency of flips. Don't get me wrong, that steak looked amazing. But, science does offer possible alternatives :-D

That steak looks delicious, no problem here eating it. With that said, you did mention missed flavor expectations and thought of extended the drying time. There are too many other variables that could account for the disparity between expectations and results. For example, your fire. Looks great, but is it sizzling hot? I did not see any tongs, nor any mention of clicking, nor did I read about number/frequency of flips. Don't get me wrong, that steak looked amazing. But, science does offer possible alternatives :-D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sorry I should have provided more details. Yes, much hot flames. Minimum of two tong clicks before any flippage occurred. And I used 20sec for the flippities, 25secs for the flops and 30 for the flips.

Back