500 Gallon Reverse Flow Build

What I usually do...

Start out with the biggun using the most abrasive disk I can find. Start at one end and go to the other end while trying to keep the same angle. Get to the end, adjust angle slightly and head back. Repeat until I've rounded the edge nicely. Switch to my 4.5 with 80-100 grit and smooth out the whole thing.

Got the day started off by running to Fleet Farm to pickup a 7-9" angle grinder on the advice of RookieTJx2, man what a difference that makes. That enabled me to get the four seams at the top of the firebox welded and smoothed.

Then it was on to firebox rack fabrication, I was going for a pretty beefy rack so I built it all out of angle iron. Also got the anti-tip slides installed.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

A special thanks to RookieTJx2 and melman680 for helping me get my plasma cutter figured out. I backed my PSI down to 70 and with the aid of the rolling standoff guide I was able to make some nice clean cuts. The dross (slag) on the back side chipped right off with a little tap.

To get started making my round cuts I had to rig up a radius tool. Simpler is always better, right? I just took a little threaded rod, drilled a hole through a plumb bob and put a couple nuts on each side to allow me to adjust it as needed. I stick the point of the plumb bob in my pre-drilled hole and get to cutting.
picture.php

And this is what I ended up with
picture.php

picture.php

It's going to be a busy week so I probably won't get much of anything done, I will be happy if I get the other 3 intake spinners finished up and another seam or two welded/smoothed. I hope to hit it hard again next weekend.

Thanks for looking and thank you for all the advice/feedback it is greatly appreciated.

Looking good. Glad the bigger grinder is working out better. I really need to make me a circle cutter sometime. Fortunately, I haven't really needed one yet.

I am jelly of you guys with welding skills. Great looking work. I'm a master woodworker, but those skills don't translate well to the world of high heat and flame.

I am jelly of you guys with welding skills. Great looking work. I'm a master woodworker, but those skills don't translate well to the world of high heat and flame.

I come from a woodworking background as well, you being a master woodworker tells me you have the capacity to pay attention to detail, you could easily learn to work with metal. In a lot of ways it's easier than wood.

Was able to pickup the tank tonight after work, the gentleman at the store was very helpful in setting it on the trailer just where I wanted it.
picture.php

Lots of work to do.

Speers90.......When I was an undergrad at Auburn University, I took a Materials Science lab. Welding was part of the lab. As hard as I tried, I sucked! I build 18th century reproduction cherry furniture. Attention to detail is important, but welding is an art, not a skill. I just dont have this gene.

It has been a busy week but I did manage to fill it completely up with water until it was overflowing and drained it. I also got the door and firebox cutouts marked. Looks like it will be Friday before I really get to do any work.

I'm jealous of this build... So much I get disappointed when there's nothing new in the thread. Lol what're you planning on using to cut the openings? Plasma cutter or your 7" grinder?

I'm jealous of this build... So much I get disappointed when there's nothing new in the thread. Lol what're you planning on using to cut the openings? Plasma cutter or your 7" grinder?

Plan is the plasma cutter, glad someone feels my pain when nothing gets done!

Watched a movie with the kids tonight so I didn't get much done but I did manage to get 3 more firebox seams welded and got some holes drilled in the tank to denote my start/stop spots on the lines I intend to cut tomorrow.

My goals this weekend are to: get the tank welded to the trailer, get the tank opened up, do a big cleansing burn in the tank, 6 seams welded and smoothed and smooth visible welds on the trailer.

Here's hoping next week isn't so crazy at work so I can actually get something done during the week. Would like to have this project wrapped up one month from today.

Cooking a brisket on the Meadowcreek for a funeral dinner and working on the new cooker, it is a great day!

Got started by smoothing the 3 seams that I welded on the firebox last night. It was actually pretty painless because I had some pretty clean, consistent welds coupled with the bigger grinder and it took less than half the time I expected.
picture.php

Then it was time to get the tank welded to the trailer, it's hard to tell in these picture but I cleaned up the metal before I stuck my welds in there.
picture.php

Firebox spot notched out of the tank, I scored my pencil line with a 1/16" cutting wheel and then used the plasma cutter to finish. That score line made it pretty easy to see what I was doing with the plasma torch.
picture.php

Moved on to the cook chamber doors, I am putting the strapping on the inside of the cooker so I went ahead and took the doors completely off because it will be easy to get them back on later.
picture.php

Picture of the front door, I started out thinking I would leave the doors on, but just after putting the hinges on I decided I would take them off.
picture.php

Going to build a giant fire in this thing tonight, while I am mowing the lawn and cleaning up my work area.

For as much trouble as I had initially with the plasma cutter, I absolutely love it now. I would go back and buy another one in a second if something happens to this after the warranty period is over. I decided that it was time to take the training wheels off and I free hand cut the the door openings and 75% of the domed end cut.

Had another good day of working on the cooker, even had time to help the misses put in some landscaping around the house.

Started out the day by getting the air intakes cut into the firebox sides, can't overstate how much I am loving the plasma cutter now. Still have the handle to build for each intake spinner, think I know what I am going to do but waiting on something to arrive to see if it will work or not.
picture.php

Then I welded up the remaining 5 seams in the firebox and got busy grinding. After that it was time to grind on the visible trailer seams. Not to much fun, but it had to be done.

I didn't imagine I would get this far today, but I was able to get the firebox tacked onto the tank/trailer. Still a bunch of welding to do on that connection but just getting it in position is 9/10 of the battle.
picture.php

There is 9" of clearance under the firebox.

Back