270 Smoker First Impressions w/Pr0n

Glad to hear all went well, it is a rock solid cooker, any questions all you have to do is ask the 270 family will be happy to answer all of them

Yup, got it out of the van via "controlled gravity assist." Gravity pulling it out and me pulling hard on the other end to keep it from crashing. Almost as innovative as heated draft. :thumb:

Ribs on the 270

Attach Files
Valid file extensions: bmp doc exe gif jpe jpeg jpg msi pdf png ppt psd ttf txt xls xlsx zip
image.jpg (41.9 KB)

Attach Files
Valid file extensions: bmp doc exe gif jpe jpeg jpg msi pdf png ppt psd ttf txt xls xlsx zip
image.jpg (41.9 KB)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 340
Doing a hot and fast 7 lb. brisket flat at 300. One hour in and the temp has been a constant 298...except for about 30 seconds when it dipped down to 297 on the Mav. Good thing there's a meat probe or I'd think my Mav was busted.

Good news bad news thread.

Good news? Looks like a terrific smoker! I'm interested in an insulated cabinet smoker AND I'm local.

Bad news? I believe the CFO (Mrs. BDAABAT) is gonna kill me if (when?) I pull the trigger! :mrgreen:

Subscribed.

Bruce

Well the brisket's resting and the 270 never wavered more than a few degrees from target until I finally opened the door for foiling. And even after that shot right back up there. So far, not sure what I'd do with a Guru on this thing.

Competion chicken on the 270

Took ninth place out of 32 teams at Mohegan sun bbq fest
AABwjpaszB6CY1dC5gTNl9g8a

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 295
Nice looking smoker.
What is the temperature range?
What have you seen the tempature difference between top and bottom shells when you are smoking around 250f.

Nice looking smoker.
What is the temperature range?
What have you seen the tempature difference between top and bottom shells when you are smoking around 250f.

I don't have enough experience with it yet to fully answer your questions, so maybe Duke or Terry will chime in. I've done two hot and fast cooks at 300 without water and had no problem getting it there. After yesterday's cook, just to play around I filled the pan with water and throttled back into the 220 range just fine in an empty cooker, then throttled back up to 280 (with water) to let it steam off some of the crud on the inside.

Very efficient with fuel. Filled the basket with about 6-7 lbs of lump and ran for 7 hours before shutting down. Still a good amount left in the tank.

Well the brisket's resting and the 270 never wavered more than a few degrees from target until I finally opened the door for foiling. And even after that shot right back up there. So far, not sure what I'd do with a Guru on this thing.

Cookers like the Backwoods, Stumps, etc, will also hold temp for hours without a Guru, but adding the Guru adds some security if you have to be away from the cooker or get some sleep at a competition, plus most users report better efficiency.

Temps

The temps up and down and side to side seem pretty good but I have not done any tests yet. I have the large 270 you can load up all the racks with or without full size pans without air flow problems. I have a stumps and onyx ovens.... They are good smokers but you really need to run a guru on them, I just wanted to simplify my competion chaos and cooks with a large capacity that is why I went with a 270 just roll it out it has it's own wheels built into the smoker....no more lifting, it is simple to load and light and you can get to the coals real easy, you can use a water pan if you want. The racks and fire box will not fall out when you pull them out...a big plus when you are running around in competion, the powder coating is done really we'll fit and finish is right on, the front door has built in stops so it will no open and slam on the side of the smoker. When I load up the fire box I will get a 12-14 hour cook at 270-300 temp, it also has a removable ash pan just pull out and dump ashes, then just shut down the vents and you usually have coals left over for your next smoke. You can remove everything out racks and fire box for easy clean up....... It does seem to cook faster ribs done in four hours, chicken cooks faster also the chicken gets crispy skin the way I like it!!!!!! At Mohegan sun comp I smoked 12 pork butts during the weekend just load it and forget about it really nice when you want to get some sleep. Overall the best smoker I have used.

I forgot to say also that you can bring the smoker up to temp and then slide the vent down almost all the way, and then later in the nite around 2ish in the morning I open the vent to my temp that I want and within an hour the 270 is back up to the temp I want. No more playing around with loading and lighting early in the morning. I start my competion cooks at three in the morning.

Back